Job Location: Stuarts Draft, VA
The Hershey Plant in Stuarts Draft VA is a Non-Union plant producing products such as Reese Cups, Reese Filled Shapes, Reese's Pieces, Mounds, Almond Joy, and other varieties in a high-speed, complex manufacturing environment.
Provide effective Workers Compensation case management to improve quality of life for employees, improve productivity and reduce overall company benefit costs. Promote the safety and health of all employees by coordination of the treatment of injuries and illnesses and Medical Surveillance.
- Manage site workers' compensation cases.
- Evaluates accident reports, reviews medical reports, witness statements, department investigation results and other documentation. Compiles facts and data regarding accident reports and filed cases.
- Advises and/or assists departments in conducting investigation of accident reports, including interviewing of witnesses and procurement of relevant documentation.
- Creates notices of absence, and notices of return to work in accordance with medical notes.
- Coordinates accommodations within reasonable metrics for return to work.
- Documents telephone conversations, witness statements, medical reports, accident investigation results.
- Interface with employees, line management, supervisors, safety personnel, human resources, benefits, plant management, claims adjustors and employee relations regarding case resolution as well as outside physicians/health care providers.
- Assess and evaluate non-occupational health issues as relevant to operations, which may involve communication with employee's personal physician.
- Interface with line management, supervisors, managers, safety, site emergency response team, fire brigade and external health care providers in the promotion of a safe, healthy work environment.
- Coordinate return to work and restricted duty program including collaboration with off-site and on-site health care providers.
- Provide management of medical surveillance programs including documentation of findings, appropriate medical review and post-surveillance follow-up and counseling with employees.
- Maintain yearly hearing medical records and coordinate medical hearing evaluations as necessary for the plant full time employees and contingent workers. Coordinate make-up hearing evaluations.
- Coordinate pre-employment health assessments for new hires with outside physicians/health care providers
- Coordinate scheduling of substance abuse testing at the plant as indicated.
- Coordinate scheduling of influenza, hepatitis B or other vaccinations offered by the Company.
- Manage Respiratory Protection Medical Questionnaire evaluations and Respiratory Fit Testing. Coordinate respiratory exams with health care professionals as needed.
- Work with management to develop, implement, and evaluate health and wellness programs aimed at improving the quality of life for employees, improving productivity, and reducing overall company benefit costs.
- Assist EHS manager in planning, organizing, and administering policies of Health Services.
- Support corporate and plant health and wellness programs by providing information to educate and motivate employees toward a healthy lifestyle through activities such as onsite health activities, health huddles, and maintaining health information
- Assist EHS manager in coordination of annual health and safety fairs for site employees
Miscellaneous responsibilities/projects (associated with at least one of the above tasks):
- Identify opportunities for cost control, process improvements and quality improvements related to customer service.
- Comply with applicable country-specific legal and regulatory requirements and plant/facility/company standards and requirements.
- Maintain complete medical records for all employee interactions.
- Maintain patient privacy and medical record confidentiality.
- Perform other duties as defined by EHS Manager.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Working knowledge of the Workers' Compensation Act, city regulations and other applicable state/federal statutes and regulations.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, body systems and/or impairments and their disabling effects.
- Ability to obtain facts that ensure that claims information is complete and accurate.
- Ability to balance casework loads and efficiently process claims.
- Good judgment in interpreting medical facts presented by a physician and applying these facts in determining an individual's capacity to engage in gainful occupation.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to function independently and as a team member
- Ability to effectively interact with medical personnel, physician offices and clinics.
- Ability to coordinate the treatment of employee's illness/injury (including emergency care)
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office)
- Effective organizational and planning skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Effective leadership skills including critical thinking and decision-making.
- Knowledge of OSHA recordability and requirements preferred
- Knowledge of applicable legal and regulatory requirements specific to occupational health preferred
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- CPR / First Aid certification required; AED certification preferred
- At least 2 years' experience working in a medical setting; Occupational setting is preferred
- At least 1 years' experience in Workers Compensation case coordination
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact the HR Service Center (firstname.lastname@example.org).