Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a temporary Officer, Humanitarian Program Development to join the Humanitarian Assistance team at the headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland.
The Officer, Humanitarian Program Development participates in new business development efforts in various capacities. The Officer serves on business development and proposal teams in various capacities as required, including providing administrative support to the proposal process, coordinating the proposal process, writing sections of proposal narratives and annexes, and supporting the development of budgets and cost proposals. The Officer also serves as a recruiter for specific proposals and in support of ongoing programs, coordinating with the Humanitarian Assistance Associate and other Global Communities recruiters. The Officer also conducts research and analysis on humanitarian conditions in specific contexts to support proposal development.
This is a temporary full-time position for a period of 16 weeks beginning early November 2021.
Responsibility Area: Business Development
- Serves on new business development and proposal teams as assigned. Typical roles include providing technical writing, recruitment, budgeting and/or other administrative and coordination support for proposal development for concept papers and proposals as assigned and with the guidance of Humanitarian Specialists. Technical writing may include writing assigned proposal sections such as background statements, technical components, cross-cutting issues, management and staffing, or organizational capacity.
- Supporting pricing and budgeting processes for assigned proposals as assigned and with the guidance of the Humanitarian Business Development Pricing & Operations Manager. This includes:
• Preparing budgets in coordination with the technical lead and field staff as relevant and submitting to HA BD Pricing and Operations Manager for final review.
• Analyzing donor solicitations and ensuring team leads are informed of possible pricing issues / questions.
• Writing complete budget narratives as assigned.
• Responding to budget related questions from the donor when needed.
• Preparing budget and budget related documents for final submission
• Coordinating the proposal process, which can include:
• Developing a proposal checklist, calendar, and/or workplan.
• Preparing proposal templates.
• Managing the filing and organization of draft and final proposal submission materials.
• Tracking the completion status of proposal components.
• Providing formatting and design support for submission materials.
• Compiling and submitting proposals upon internal completion and approval.
• Supporting proposal design and external coordination, including:
• Serving as a liaison between Global Communities' field teams, HQ-based proposal teams, relevant technical staff, and partner organizations to facilitate information gathering and proposal design.
• Conducting research on country background information, humanitarian conditions, sectoral best practices, competitor strengths and weaknesses, and other information needed for proposal designs.
Responsibility Area: Recruitment Support
- Serves as recruiter for specific proposals and in support of ongoing HA programs and BD efforts, including consultant recruitment, which can include:
- Finalizing scopes of work (SOW) and job descriptions.
- Creating and sharing job postings.
- Screening CVs and passing CVs to Recruiter or Hiring Managers for further consideration.
- Liaising with the HA Executive/Special Projects Assistant to track consultant hiring paperwork and amendments to Consultant Agreements as required.
Responsibility Area: BD Information Management
- Supports information management, including file storage and organization throughout the proposal process.
- Tracks and routes requests for signatures on proposal documents and other documents as required.
- Completes other tasks as assigned by the Humanitarian Business Development Pricing & Operations Manager and the Senior Director of Humanitarian Business Development & Innovation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong understanding of USG proposal guidelines (especially OFDA and/or FFP).
- Demonstrated knowledge of international humanitarian response and recovery program methodologies, monitoring and evaluation techniques, and grants administration.
- Good analytical and research skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Ability to interact with all levels of staff in a professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively in an atmosphere of shifting priorities and deadline pressure with minimal supervision.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Excellent organizational skills. Ability to manage deadlines and to work independently. Ability to prioritize workload and multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Fluency in English, written and oral. Abilities in a second language preferred, particularly Spanish, Arabic or French.
- Advanced computer skills in a Windows-based environment including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel, and SharePoint.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- Undergraduate degree in a related discipline and a minimum of two years of related work experience or a minimum of six years of related work experience.
- Experience contributing to writing proposals and grants for an international organization needed.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A passion for the mission and values of Global Communities
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.