This person will focus on the strategic planning, design, and implementation of taxonomies to help achieve goals for the Meta Taxonomy team, such as supporting the categorizing and labeling, machine learning and content understanding systems at Meta. The crux of this work is in developing, maintaining, growing multiple taxonomies for a complex, many-faceted product while integrating it into a broader taxonomy/ontology infrastructure. The work also includes following taxonomy management best practices, metadata and vocabulary standards, and building cross-functional relationships. It will also include setting strategy across multiple complex workstreams with an emphasis on creating extensible, descriptive taxonomies for a myriad of use cases.The person in this role will be expected to be an experienced taxonomist able to quickly expand knowledge domains, create taxonomies for new domains, and socialize taxonomy.
Taxonomist - Reality Labs Responsibilities:
- Utilize industry best practices for taxonomy development and maintenance.
- Consult with internal product partners to expand our taxonomy to support product and business goals while remaining faithful to underlying structures.
- Help build out and establish a taxonomy program for Reality Labs based content.
- Experience with evaluating and implementing taxonomies to support systems such as search systems, content management systems, digital asset management systems, or product classification.
- Experience communicating and presenting taxonomy principles and standards.
- Experience with systems and business analysis.
- 5+ years of experience in developing taxonomies/or ontologies to support a variety of systems both for front-end and back-end use.
- Experience with a variety of topic/domain types and complexity of taxonomies.
- Experience with developing complex taxonomies, thesauri, and ontologies.
- Experience building taxonomies for machine learning classification systems.
- Experience with query languages such as SQL.
- Master's Degree in Library Science or Information Management or similar experience.
- Experience with scripting language such as Python.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.