Nielson Construction & Materials, a CRH Company, is a member of the CRH Americas Materials West Division. Our purpose, commitment to the future, and formula for growth is to champion the safety, empowerment, and development of our employees. We strive to be The Preferred Source of quality sand, rock, landscape products, ready-mixed concrete, asphalt, paving and construction services. We succeed as a team by embracing integrity, mutual respect, innovation, service, sustainability, and financial strength.
Last Revised Date:
This is a skilled position responsible for safely performing specific duties related to setting and checking grade (elevation points relevant to project construction) as well as general labor duties. Duties may include but are not limited to using a hammer while setting survey stakes, shoveling and raking of gravel or soils. Operating a laser level, GPS, drone, and related survey equipment. Recording data, building models, and measuring quantities.
Key Responsibilities (Essential Duties and Functions)
Supervisory Responsibilities Qualifications
- Properly follow all company policies and OSHA/MSHA regulations for safe working procedures and environment. Report any problems to the Foreman, Superintendent, Safety Manager, or Human Resources Manager.
- Read and interpret project drawings relevant to site work activities and projects.
- Establish and maintain site layout and construction staking for performance of excavation and site work activities.
- Establish and check grade for utility installations.
- Perform daily site inspections with appropriate documentation in compliance with company policies.
- Perform job tasks in accordance with industry best practices and requirements (lifting, carrying, sitting, walking, and climbing).
- Perform general labor duties as required for successful completion of projects.
- Staking, layout and grade checking on heavy civil construction projects including culverts, utilities, earth moving, asphalt and concrete using both UTS and GPS.
- Drone surveys of both construction sites and gravel pits
- As-Built Surveys and measurements
- Set up, troubleshooting and maintenance of Trimble machine control systems
- Assist the Survey Manager with mapping, 3D modeling and flight processing as needed.
- Assist construction crews as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disability to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred. 2-3 years of related experience and/or a combination of both.
- Must have thorough knowledge of pipe and general construction grade setting. Must have knowledge to read stakes & both printed and electronic plans and knowledge of laser/instrument set up.
- Ability to read, understand, explain, and discuss project specifications pertaining to survey tolerances
- Experience with field GPS Survey Software such as Trimble SCS900 or Siteworks
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiple and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute, rate, ration, percent, land to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should be able to type and use keyboards accurately and have knowledge of Database software.
- Should be comfortable using Windows Operating system. Microsoft Office apps such as Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Valid Driver's License
- Certified Commercial UAS Pilot
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional employee situations; Responds promptly to employee needs; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment.
- Planning/Organizing - Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
- Initiative - Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed, but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, climb, and use hands to signal and handle equipment. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, crawl, kneel, bend, and reach with hands and arms above their shoulders. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move anywhere up to 75 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception. Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; outside weather conditions; and extreme cold and/or heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
The statements included in this job description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform the job. Other duties may be assigned as required. Requirements for this job are subject to modification by the Company and its designees, and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. What CRH Americas Offers You
About CRH Americas
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
CRH Americas has a long and proud heritage as one of North America's largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the CRH Americas family. CRH Americas operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
CRH Americas is a great place to grow! If you're up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the CRH Americas family!
Nielson Construction & Materials is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link .
Date Posted: Jan 25, 2021 Nearest Major Market:
Utah Job Segment:
Technician, Maintenance, Database, Technology, Manufacturing
This job has expired.