The Imaging/Radiology Staff Nurse isa registered nurse who is responsible for assuring competent, compassionatenursing care for specific patients and families. Responsibilitiesinclude, but are not limited to, pre-procedural assessment, administration ofprocedural sedation, hemodynamic monitoring during diagnostic andinterventional procedures, and post-procedural recovery and teaching. Thestaff nurse delegates to and supervises non-professional and supportstaff. The staff nurse is responsible and accountable for the overallnursing care management of a designated group of patients. She/hecollaborates with the Clinical Nurse Specialist, Clinical Nurse Coordinator andAmbulatory Nursing Director as well as members of the patient care team toachieve optimal patient outcomes
1.0 Provides competent, compassionate nursing care based on scientific principlesand the use of nursing process and a primary nursing model.
1.1 Provides and maintains a therapeuticenvironment for patients and families.
1.2 Articulates the role of the Imagingstaff nurse to the patient, family and health team members.
1.3 Identifies, facilitates, and evaluatesoutcomes of nursing care for an individual patient or group of patients,utilizing the nursing process.
1.4 Coordinates involvement of the patient,family and health team members in patient care including patient/familyteaching and discharge planning.
1.5 Documents relevant patient informationduring all phases of care.
1.6 Communicates the plan of care and otherpertinent information to/from other health team members.
1.7 Helps define standards of excellencefor patient care; participates in improvement of patient care services in acost-effective manner.
OFF SHIFT STANDBY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide direct nursing care with consideration of the aging process, human developmental stages, and cultural patterns.
- Imaging Staff RN must stay within 60 minutes (driving time) of the hospital at all times when assuming standby status.
- Imaging Staff RN have up to one hour to arrive in the department after the initial page and procedure confirmation by the on call physician.
- Imaging Staff RN must have the ability to ,perform multiple tasks simultaneously and with minimal assistance
- Imaging Staff RN must have the ability to make critical decisions in a timely manner and communicate to the team.
2.0 Collaborates with other professionals and directs nonprofessional nursingpersonnel in maintaining recognized standards.
2.1 Educates and directs allnursing/non-nursing personnel for whom she/he is responsible.
2.2 Participates in orientation of newpermanent and temporary staff members.
2.3 Appropriately utilizes nursing resources.
2.4 Interprets hospital and departmentalpolicies and procedures to nurses and other health team members.
3.0 Participates in daily operational activities necessary for safe patient/staffenvironment.
3.1 Utilizes resources efficiently tofacilitate optimal patient care.
3.2 Provides input to the NursingDirector/Ambulatory Nurse Manager/Clinical Nurse Specialist regarding unitneeds.
3.3 Participates in unit and departmentalcommittees for formulation of nursing and hospital policies and procedures.PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT:
4.0 Maintains and updates clinical knowledge and skills based on current nursingeducation practices.
4.1 Adheres to Department of Radiologyrequirements for competency based training.
4.2 Identifies own learning needs and goalsand develops a plan to meet them.
4.3 Maintains and develops professionalpractice through continuing educational programs and appropriate learningexperiences.
- Contributes to relevant committees, professional meetings, continuing educational and/or formal academic programs.
The Imaging RN must havedemonstrated ability to perform the following functions while wearingProtective Lead (vest, apron, thyroid shield with a weight range of 5-10 lbstotal)
Standing or sitting
Listening to the patient, family,other health care workers, and applicable monitorsPushing
- Beds, gurneys, and wheelchairs, IV or monitor poles
- Laundry and trash containers
- Beds, gurneys, IV and monitor poles
- Objects from shelves such as linen, supplies monitors
- Laundry and trash containers
- Draw blood
- Administer injections (IV/IM/SC)
- Put on gloves while maintaining sterile field
- Administer medications (oral, rectal, eye drops, ear drops, nose drops, topical, or via feeding tube)
- Collect specimens (urine, sputum, stool, blood)
- Insert / maintain / remove urinary catheters
- Insert / maintain / remove nasogastric tubes
- Insert / maintain / remove peripheral intravenous catheters
- Remove non-tunneled PICC catheters
- Use oxygen equipment inclusive to lifting and moving canisters
- Empty drains
- Remove sutures/staples
- Computer entry for charting
- Hygiene care--brushing patients teeth, hair, shaving patient, bathing patient, other hygiene measures
- Maintain sterility of needles, catheters, dressings, etc. when performing complex procedures
- Set and maintaining pumps, cardiac monitors etc.
- Check and record vital signs
- Change dressings
- Patient transfers
- Floor--kneel or sitting
- Sitting--standing for extended periods of time
- Wheelchair-head of a bed or gurney
- Lifting or transferring portable cardiac monitors from location to location
- Patient personal belongings
- Patient supplies
- Infusion Pumps
- Position fluid bags (IV, urinary, drainage bags, etc)
- Transfer patient onto bedpan and or bedside commode
- Current Massachusetts licensure as a registered nurse
- Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification.
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification (Required for Pediatric Imaging RNs).
- Demonstrates clinical competence in the area of nursing practice predominant on the unit.
- 3+ years of broad-based nursing experience (including critical care) strongly preferred
- Completed competencies for Critical Care Orientation including successful completion of procedural sedation program administered by the Department of Anesthesia.
MassachusettsGeneral Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, wechoose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals withdisabilities are strongly encouraged.