Job Location: Hershey, PA
This position is for a 2B Staff Engineer (Controls) in the Controls & Security Technology Solutions Engineering group. This individual will assume responsibility for undertaking and executing fundamental projects of major importance, complexity, and scope. Primary responsibilities include cost estimation, conceptual development, developing project schedules, control system design, implementation of advanced industrial control networks, implementation of computer systems for the manufacturing environment and the integration of manufacturing systems data with business systems. The engineer will also be responsible to lead the electrical installation and commissioning efforts for capital projects including organizing daily electrical tasks, contract engineering resources, and equipment commissioning. The engineer will be working directly with other engineers (process, controls and packaging), capital project management, operations planning, manufacturing, quality assurance, product development, and marketing personnel. In addition to their primary responsibilities the individual will be responsible for mentoring, training, and supporting the development of less experienced engineers.
- Lead multifunctional teams in the development of capital projects. Prepare manufacturing feasibility assessments and capital cost estimates for multiple capital projects. Evaluate new technologies, understand Hershey standards, and apply applicable advanced control system technologies, programming methods, instrumentation, and other processes that benefit Hershey capital project requirements and Hershey business objectives.
- Assertive in directing and managing the electrical responsibilities of capital projects including process and packaging system design and equipment selection, creation of electrical elementary drawings, preparing equipment and electrical construction bid specifications, electrical installation, start-up of process and packaging equipment and associated control systems. Adept at troubleshooting equipment and control system issues. Communicating with and training line supervisors, operators and maintenance personnel, and proficient in developing operational manuals.
- Process and packaging optimization during startup and early production.
- Managing the process and packaging controls engineering portion of capital projects, including cost, schedule, and resources (internal and external contractors), as well as leading multi-functional teams in project execution.
- Developing process and packaging systems suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the required project timetable.
- Developing and maintaining the Industrial Control Network Architecture and Security measures (firewalls, policies, etc.).
- Provide leadership and accountability to the daily manufacturing operations.
- Mentors and guides less experienced controls engineers and co-ops/interns in engineering projects. Provides training to others for the Skills Diversification program.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology.
- 7+ years in controls engineering
- Minimum 5 years of experience in a large manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Experience in leading the controls engineering portion of multiple projects is required.
- Experience with electrical elementary drawings, P&IDs, GMPs, controls estimating, and controls design are required.
- Working knowledge of standard industry PLC and SCADA/HMI systems.
- Experience and skilled in specifying, developing and installing 480VAC, 120VAC and 24VDC power systems and equipment electrical controls.
- Working Knowledge of Industrial Control Network architecture and security measures is essential.
Additional Skills/Knowledge Required:
- Is an expert in developing control systems suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the commercialization timeline and budget.
- Manage the controls engineering portion of capital projects, selects control systems & instrumentation, and creates P&IDs and electrical drawings. Also prepares equipment, instrumentation, system integration & electrical construction bid specifications and provides installation, commissioning, and start-up support for processes.
- Provide control information including documentation to manufacturing that is critical for the day-to-day operation of a line.
- Train manufacturing personnel including operators, supervisors, QA and maintenance on the key operating parameters of the equipment and controls systems.
- Possess the appropriate combinations of knowledge and experience in the design, specification, application, installation, configuration, programming and maintenance of control systems - which include: PLCs, motion control systems, Instrumentation (temperature, pressure, level, flow, mass, proximity), Fieldbus Networks, Ethernet, Kepware OPC, Microsoft Networking (TCP/IP), HMI/SCADA systems as well as other state of the art control components and systems.
- Possess a working knowledge of regulatory requirements for electrical installations.
- Proven experience in managing multiple disciplines (external and internal) to bring control systems from the design stage to production.
- Possess the ability to prioritize, and have an understanding of the required business objectives, developing solutions, control schedules, and efficient and expedient project executions.
- Possess the appropriate negotiating skills to process projects and other job-related duties from inception to completion.
- Successfully manages small to mid-sized complex capital projects, including cost, schedule, and resources (internal and contractors), as well as leading multi-functional teams in project execution.
- Excellent leadership and decision-making ability.
- Excellent technical troubleshooting skills including extensive hands-on problem-solving experience, focusing on detailed problem resolution and documentation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be open to and comfortable with change.
- Must be able to execute projects in a timely manner.
- Open to travel (including International) based on assignment (>30%).
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
This job has expired.