Remote: This can be a remote position; the selected candidate can reside and perform the work from anywhere within the United States.
As a Wireless Network Engineer, you will be responsible for leading product development and integration activities. Responsibilities include utilizing engineering tools and processes to successfully develop components and systems for vehicle programs.
Effectively achieve program milestones by thorough and rigorous program management. You will coach and lead suppliers to timely execution of program deliverables with perfection.
Telematics is among the fastest growing technologies in the global auto industry. Companies that can innovate and launch the most intelligent solutions are likely to cause disruption within the industry. Become a part of this cutting edge field! We are looking for creative and intelligent team members who want to shape the future.
The chosen candidate will become part of a fast-moving team, and will be responsible for leading the specification development and release efforts of a global telematics program. You will use tools to verify and test software releases. You will become the point of contact for specification issues. You will work closely with our validation teams and program teams on the development of new telematics modules. GM works globally, so the team will be based in Michigan, but we will work with other team members from other regions.
- Take technical leadership role as Wireless Network Engineer working closely with Mobile Network Operators to ensure proposed solutions meet GM requirements.
- Review Wireless Network solution rollout schedule, meeting milestones and program timing.
- Develop Telematics Cellular requirements for device connectivity via 5G, LTE, and legacy 2G/3G standards.
- Implement Engineering Change Proposals
- Supports Issue Resolution
- Run tests on benches and vehicles to duplicate issues and generate test logs
- Verify new software fixes
- Create solutions to wireless connectivity, reliability and performance issues found within the development process.
- Build and maintain relationships across the cellular network & mobile device community (i.e. chipset vendors, Mobile Network Operators, network infrastructure equipment vendors, mobile handset manufacturers, device certification labs, etc.)
- Travel as required (2-3 weeks per year)
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, or Computer Engineering or related field, or equivalent combination of education and recent, relevant work experience
- 7-10 years of experience in specification, design, development, deployment, of wireless communication systems (5G, LTE, UMTS, HSPA, GSM etc.)
- Thorough understanding of Cellular Network architecture is required (eNodeB, BTS, MSC, EPC, IMS, SMSC, HLR/HSS, PGW, SGW, etc.)
- Good understanding in data communications such as TCP/IP protocol stack and applications.
- Device and network performance analysis and trouble shooting skills
- Strong of oral and written communication skills, and the ability to work independently and effectively with others (interpersonal skills).
- Demonstrated technical success in a fast paced, results-oriented engineering environment.
Additional Job Description
- Cellular mobile device design and development experience strongly (i.e. embedded software, mobile apps, network testing and certification)
- Experience with VoIP or VoLTE.
- Cellular device design and/or testing
- Exposure to automotive infotainment and telematics.
At this level you are expected to operate with a high level of independent discernment and are typically responsible for implementing functional strategy, administering and coordinating programs, counseling and advising management.
- As a fully-qualified individual contributor who has thorough knowledge and understanding of all aspects of the function, you will provide expert judgment and analysis for the design, development and implementation of technical products and systems.
- Resolve highly complex technical issues and conducts advanced research.
- Recommend alterations to development and design to improve quality of products and/or procedures.
- Skilled and proficient with a variety of the field's concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Rely mostly on extensive personal experience and discernment to plan and accomplish goals.
- You will perform multiple tasks. Lead and likely direct the work of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.