Job Location: Hershey, PA
This position is for a 1A Engineer (Controls) in the Controls & Security Technology Solutions Engineering group. This individual will assume responsibility for assisting in and executing fundamental projects of varying importance, complexity and scope. Primary responsibilities include conceptual development, developing project schedules, control system design, implementation of advanced industrial control networks, implementation of computer systems for the manufacturing environment and the integration of manufacturing systems data with business systems. The engineer will also be responsible to coordinate or assist in leading the electrical installation and commissioning efforts for capital projects including organizing daily electrical tasks, contract engineering resources, and equipment commissioning. The engineer will be working directly with other engineers (process, controls and packaging), capital project management, operations planning, manufacturing, quality assurance, product development, and marketing personnel. In addition to their primary responsibilities the individual will be responsible for developing their skillset to include more advanced learning related to controls and security technology concepts, Hershey standards, and regulatory requirements.
- Participate on a multifunctional team in the development of capital projects. Prepare manufacturing feasibility assessments and capital cost estimates for multiple capital projects. Evaluate new technologies, understand Hershey standards, and apply applicable control system technologies, programming methods, instrumentation, and other processes that benefit Hershey capital project requirements and Hershey business objectives.
- Participate in the electrical responsibilities of capital projects including process and packaging system design and equipment selection, creation of electrical elementary drawings, preparing equipment and electrical construction bid specifications, electrical installation, start-up of process and packaging equipment and associated control systems. Hone skills for troubleshooting equipment and control system issues. Communicate with and train line supervisors, operators and maintenance personnel, and proficient in developing operational manuals.
- Responsibilities include:
- Process and packaging optimization during startup and early production.
- Overseeing the process and packaging controls engineering portion of capital projects, including cost, schedule, and resources (internal and external contractors), as well as participating on multi-functional teams in project execution.
- Developing process and packaging systems suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the required project timetable.
- Provide project specific information to the daily manufacturing operations.
- Work with senior controls engineers on more complex engineering projects. Develop additional proficiencies with the Skills Diversification program.
- BS Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology.
- 3+ years in controls engineering
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a large manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Experience in leading the controls engineering portion of multiple projects is preferred.
- Experience with electrical elementary drawings, P&IDs, GMPs, controls estimating, and controls design is required.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of standard industry PLC and SCADA/HMI systems.
- Experience in specifying, developing, and installing 480VAC, 120VAC and 24VDC power systems and equipment electrical controls beneficial.
- Basic knowledge of Industrial Control Network Architecture and Security measures is preferred.
Additional Skills/Knowledge Required:
- Is knowledgeable in developing control systems suitable for implementation in a manufacturing facility within the commercialization timeline and budget.
- Oversees the controls engineering portion of capital projects, selects control systems & instrumentation and creates P&IDs and electrical drawings. Also prepares equipment, instrumentation, system integration & electrical construction bid specifications and provides installation, commissioning and start-up support for projects.
- Provide control information including documentation to manufacturing that is critical for the day-to-day operation of a line.
- Train manufacturing personnel including operators, supervisors, QA and maintenance on the key operating parameters of the equipment and controls systems.
- Exposure to the appropriate combinations of knowledge and experience in the design, specification, application, installation, configuration, programming and maintenance of control systems - which include: PLCs, Motion Control Systems, Instrumentation (temperature, pressure, level, flow, mass, proximity), Fieldbus Networks, Ethernet, Kepware OPC, Microsoft Networking (TCP/IP), HMI/SCADA Systems as well as other state of the art control components and systems.
- Possess a basic knowledge of regulatory requirements for electrical installations.
- Exposure to managing multiple disciplines (external and internal) to bring control systems from the design stage to production.
- Possess the ability to prioritize and have an understanding of the required business objectives, developing solutions, control schedules, and efficient and expedient project executions.
- Possess the appropriate negotiating skills for capital projects and other job-related duties from inception to completion.
- Successfully manage small capital projects, including cost, schedule, and resources (internal and contractors), as well as participating on multi-functional teams in project execution.
- Demonstrated leadership and decision-making ability.
- Technical troubleshooting skills including hands-on problem-solving experience, focusing on detailed problem resolution and documentation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be open to and comfortable with change.
- Must be able to execute projects in a timely manner.
- Open to travel (including International) based on assignment (>30%).
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans
This job has expired.