8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
The Senior Internal Auditor will play a key role on the Audit Services team and support achieving the goals set out in our audit plan each year. The scope of work will include audits and advisory projects related to financial, compliance, operational and other business risk areas including those arising from system and process changes. The focus of this role is to ensure accuracy of financial information, risk identification and mitigation, effective controls and compliance with company policies and applicable laws, rules and regulations.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Supervise audit, advisory or other special projects designed to evaluate a combination of financial, operational and compliance risks including consideration of the related technology processes; integrating the Technology and Financial/Operational audit objectives and resources
- Assist in the execution of testing internal controls over financial reporting for management's assessment under Section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act ("SOX")
- Execute on consumer compliance audit programs including coordination with management's compliance function
- Support the development of Internal Audit's data analytics program including identification of opportunities to leverage analytics and continuous monitoring to support risk assessment, efficiency in audits and management's monitoring of risk
Purpose of the role
- Supervise and review the work performed by the assigned internal auditors
The Senior Internal Auditor will assist in leading audits and other special projects including performing risk assessments to drive project scope, developing and managing budgets, performing and/or coaching associates through test work and managing stakeholder communications throughout the process. This role requires an honest, transparent and collaborative individual that is self-motivated and focused on customer service, continuous improvement and a risk and control mindset to ensure Internal Audit is successful in providing audit and advisory support that meets the needs of our various stakeholders, including the Audit Committee and senior management. Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelors degree required, preferably in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Information Systems, or other related degree
- Certified Public Accountant ("CPA"), Certified Internal Auditor ("CIA") or Certified Information Systems Auditor ("CISA") preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of audit experience required; internal audit experience preferred
- Experience with the following required:
- Performing risk assessments to identify key areas of financial, operational and compliance related risk organizationally and within a defined project or audit
- Designing and performing appropriate audit procedures to understand and evaluate the design of business processes including risk and control identification. Experience to include these activities as related to financial, operational and compliance processes
- Designing and performing appropriate audit procedures to validate the operating effectiveness of controls
- Strong background in internal controls, including experience assessing risks and evaluating processes to identify controls and the associated system dependencies
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience with SOX 404 compliance
- Experience with consumer compliance laws and regulations or other compliance audit activities preferred
- Experience with the financial reporting processes for publicly listed companies preferred
- Significant retail industry and/ or financial services knowledge and experience is preferred
- Leadership qualities including ability to motivate and/or persuade others (including associates in Internal Audit and business partners across the organization)
- Prior supervisory experience in an audit setting preferred
- Advanced planning and project management skills
- Superior time management skills
- Ability to supervise and/or perform multiple projects concurrently to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts as they relate to auditing, accounting, budget and financial analysis
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.