Meta's web codebase contains over 100 million lines of Hack code, is updated thousands of times per day, and ships to production multiple times each day. Within the Hack Stack org, we support thousands of Meta engineers shipping that often through a combined delivery of the Hack Language and the HHVM Runtime. Hack is Meta's open sourced, gradually typed programming language, and HHVM is our state-of-the-art open-source Virtual Machine, JIT Compiler, and Runtime for executing Hack code.The Hack team is looking for an engineering manager to lead the Hack Language team. We are responsible for evolving and delivering the Hack language, the Hack typechecker, and the Hack language service. The Hack language team is also responsible for the end-to-end Hack internal developer experience.The Hack Language team includes experts in programming languages, static analysis, optimizing compilers, operating systems, distributed systems, computer architecture, and performance analysis. An essential part of the work of the Hack Language team is evolving the Hack language and the infrastructure we've built to support developers. This ranges from evaluating programming language concepts and compiler architectures to delivering Hack-related distributed systems. It also requires managing and driving cross-functional partnerships.
Software Engineering Manager, Hack Language Responsibilities:
- Set clear goals for the team and guide them through execution.
- Support a team of diverse technical talent to achieve their best.
- Hold your own in technical discussions, guiding technical specialists in the team to conclusion.
- Conduct design and code reviews with the team.
- Communicate cross-functionally, ensuring effective collaboration across Meta.
- 3+ years of people management experience.
- Experience in programming languages such as C++, Rust, PHP, OCaml, Java, or C#.
- Experience delivering compilers and programming languages.
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management.
- Knowledge of type systems.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.