ABOUT THE JOB
The Corporate Counsel Department within the ACLU's National office in New York, NY*amp;nbsp;seeks applications for the full-time position of Senior Associate Corporate Counsel.
The Senior Associate Corporate Counsel will serve to support the Co-Chief Corporate Counsels with regulatory compliance matters, primarily, within the Office of Corporate Counsel.
*Note: due to circumstances related to COVID-19, this position can function remotely from a U.S. location on an interim basis and may be eligible for permanent remote work from a location within the U.S. in the future, pursuant to the ACLU's policies.
- Advise regularly on all compliance matters related to advocacy and political work, particularly focusing on lobbying and campaign finance laws at the federal, state, and local levels
- Advise staff across the organizations on federal tax law principles for 501(c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations
- Support the Co-Chief Corporate Counsel for Regulatory Compliance in managing compliance with a variety of other regulatory regimes, including charitable solicitation law and consumer protection regulations
- Assist as needed with contract drafting and negotiation, particularly contracts involving regulatory components (such as charitable sales promotion agreements)
- With the Co-Chief Corporate Counsels, lead development of training programs and processes for political law and tax law compliance, in addition to other compliance areas
- Supervise all political law and other compliance reporting for the organizations, working with other counsel's office staff to track, prepare, and review required filings
- Support the Co-Chief Corporate Counsels with research and analysis of legal ethics rules as needed
- Assist the Co-Chief Corporate Counsels with nonprofit governance issues, including state nonprofit corporation law research and review of internal governance documents
- Work effectively with outside counsel as necessary
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity within the office using a personal approach that values all individuals and respects differences in regards to race, ethnicity, age, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability and socio-economic circumstance
- Commit to work collaboratively and respectfully toward resolving obstacles and/or conflicts
- A JD degree from an accredited university
- Admitted to practice in at least one state (NY preferred)
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU
ABOUT THE ACLU
- At least three years#39; experience practicing in the areas of political law (campaign finance law and lobbying law) and U.S. federal tax law for tax-exempt organizations, in an in-house or law firm environment
- Experience with charitable solicitation regulation and commercial co-ventures
- Experience with other regulatory regimes, including TCPA and consumer protection regulation, trade sanctions, and state and local tax law, and with nonprofit corporate governance issues
- Ability to navigate a complex organization and work in a fast-paced environment
For almost 100 years, the ACLU has worked to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Whether it's ending mass incarceration, achieving full equality for the LGBT community, establishing new privacy protections for our digital age, or preserving the right to vote or the right to have an abortion, the ACLU takes up the toughest civil liberties cases and issues to defend all people from government abuse and overreach.The Department of Education has determined that employment in this position at the ACLU does not qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.
We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, record of arrest or conviction and any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
The ACLU makes every effort to assure that its recruitment and employment provide all qualified persons, including persons with disabilities, with full opportunities for employment in all positions.The ACLU is committed to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need assistance applying online, please e-mailamp;nbsp;email@example.com;nbsp; If you are selected for an interview, you will receive additional information regarding how to request an accommodation for the interview process.
This job has expired.