Job ID: 218004
Location: CHANTILLY , VA , US
Date Posted: 2021-05-26
Category: Engineering and Sciences
Subcategory: Specialty Engr
Shift: Day Job
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Minimum Clearance Required: Top Secret
Clearance Level Must Be Able to Obtain: TS/SCI with Poly
Potential for Remote Work: No
SAIC is seeking a Reliability and Maintainability (R&M) Systems Engineer to influence system architecture in order to increase mission capability and availability, and decrease logistics burden and cost throughout the entire project and program life cycle of an exciting and innovative complex space and ground effort. The successful candidate will work both independently and in a team based environment focused on the use of management systems, analysis techniques and advanced condition-based and preventive technologies to identify, manage and eliminate challenges with/for system function.
Position requires a current TS clearance with willingness & ability to upgrade and will be located in Chantilly, VA.
Duties include but may not be limited to:
- Create and develop technical approaches, which are responsive to R&M requirements. Ensure approaches are statistically valid and in agreement with state of the art practices and contractual requirements. Identify and report on potential challenges.
- Conduct routine engineering calculations. Interpret R&M statistical data and draw conclusions with supporting rationales.
- Perform design tradeoffs while participating in design reviews.
- Provide overall R&M expertise and judgment as necessary. Provide continuing technical guidance regarding R&M characteristics to ensure that activity results in systems that meet high reliability, maintainability and other standards.
- Perform R&M analyses of designs using standard methods and techniques including: failure modes, effects of criticality analysis (FMECA) and R&M predictions. Administer failure reporting and corrective action system (FRACAS).
- Provide input to life cycle cost models relative to R&M elements. Work closely with budget and finance to help reduce costs.
- Prepare and submit various reports, i.e., product performance, reliability, program and test, maintainability program and demonstration plans, and document activities for internal/external reporting.
- Prepare visual aids and conduct technical briefings for stakeholders, customers and teams.
- Perform and/or supervise reliability tests and maintainability demonstrations. Liaise with relevant teams on outcomes of tests/analysis.
- Review and assess reliability and maintainability programs and reliability documentation for major DoD programs
- Update policy and guidance for the practice of reliability and maintainability
- Review and assess reliability and maintainability test strategies and associated R&M documentation
- Understand and evaluate quality and risk associated with reliability and maintainability characteristics, capabilities, requirements, and specification
- Evaluate the impacts of new technologies and practices of the R&M discipline
- Prepare reports and evaluations to inform milestone decision authorities
- Develop logic and process flows and output formats using complex computer resources. Maintain currency in the use of accepted R&M techniques and practices to insure continuous improvement in product design.
- Collect and analyze key data metrics from processes or components. Create statistical analysis, charts, drawings, and reports to help illustrate and showcase potential issues within a product lifecycle or business process and how to improve it.
Some common forms of analysis include:
- Manual screening
- Preventative/Planned Maintenance Optimization (PMO)
- Operational hazard analysis
- Human error analysis
- Testability analysis
- Functional analysis and functional failure analysis (e.g., function FMEA, FHA or FFA)
- Avoidance of single point of failure (SPOF)
- Accelerated testing
- Root cause analysis
- Fault tree analysis
- Dynamic reliability block-diagram analysis
- Reliability hazard analysis
- Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
TYPICAL EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Bachelors and fourteen (14) years or more experience; Masters and twelve (12) years or more experience; PhD or JD and nine (9) years or more experience
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Physics or Engineering
- Noted passion for innovation, a sophisticated understanding of various engineering systems and broad knowledge of a technically specialized field of Reliability and Maintainability. Over 10 years of progressive, related experience.
- Demonstrated ability and experience applying engineering knowledge to investigate and identify problem areas/issues and recommend and/or take corrective action as required to address challenges
- Comfortable interfacing effectively with all levels of personnel and maintain effective communication among all functional departments. Ability to maintain liaison with internal and external customers, stakeholders, etc.
- Proficient with computers and in the use of associated software such as statistical computer and MS Office application software, mathematical formula development and database management
- Available to travel, if/as required.
**Clearance Requirements: Current TS clearance willingness & ability to upgrade
SAIC is a premier technology integrator solving our nation's modernization and readiness challenges. Our offerings across defense, space, civilian, and intelligence markets include high-end solutions in engineering, IT, and mission outcomes. We integrate the best components from our portfolio with our partner's ecosystem to deliver innovative and effective solutions. We are 25,500 strong; driven by mission, united by purpose, and inspired by opportunities. Headquartered in Reston, VA, SAIC has annual revenues of nearly $7.1 billion. For information, visit saic.com
or Working at SAIC
for benefits details. SAIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer empowering people no matter their race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We strive to create a diverse, inclusive and respectful work culture that values all.