Penguin has been serving the New York metropolitan area for more than 60 years with professional and competitive commercial mechanical and facility maintenance services.
Our licensed professional engineers and more than 150 technicians expertly install, operate, maintain, and service mechanical, electrical, and HVAC systems for clients in many different industries.
By applying our expertise to project design and installation, we help our customers to better understand effective project design and control installation costs. We also make sure they understand all long-term costs involved.
The Project Manager position is a critical role for the company. This individual will be responsible for planning, directing, or coordinating activities concerned with the construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, and systems. He or she will participate in the conceptual development of a construction project and oversee its organization, scheduling, budgeting, and implementation. This individual must have the ability to support field personnel in their relationships with other subcontractors and to resolve field problems as they arise. This individual maintains full financial responsibilities of the project and must understand construction financial and accounting practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties will likely be assigned.
- Drive the project's overall flow effectively from inception to completion.
- Obtain contract and bid documents from estimating; review and understand scope for project turnover. Attend walk-throughs.
- Ensure all project document control is completed efficiently by project team, including but not limited to, insurance, bonding, permits, submittals, RFI's, change orders, correspondence, etc.
- Confer with supervisory personnel, owners, contractors, or design professionals to discuss and resolve matters such as work procedures, complaints, or construction problems.
- Plan, schedule, or coordinate construction project activities to meet deadlines.
- Prepare and submit budget estimates, progress reports, or cost tracking reports.
- Inspect or review projects to monitor compliance with building and safety codes, environmental regulations, or other regulations.
- Select subs and equipment suppliers with input from engineering, estimating and purchasing as required.
- Verify correct drawings are distributed to field.
- Create schedule of values, or billing format as required by the contract documents.
- Create project schedule showing completion, delivery dates and sub requirements. Integrate into overall project and manpower schedule as required. Understand notice requirements.
- Request PO's for major equipment and subs indicating shipping requirements, and anticipating delivery dates. (Request proper delivery notice at that time.)
- Facilitate material takeoffs by trade foreman.
- Host and attend all necessary meetings with both internal and external entities to review scheduling and delivery, work plans, job progress, manpower, and solutions to setbacks.
- Support accounting department in monthly billings and collections and follow up on outstanding balances.
- Collaborate with foreman regarding project safety. (Toolbox talks and weekly walk through.)
- Gather information for changes in work and turnover to estimating for pricing. P.M. will finalize C.O. pricing after estimating completes takeoff and attempt to maximize profit on C.O.s. Ensure no work starts prior to approval or notice to proceed.
- Assist field personnel in closeout of project.
- Obtain as-builts from field; request CAD from engineering.
- Escalate critical and/or sensitive issues to the VP of Construction with recommendation for resolution.
- Comply with all Company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
- Perform additional assignments as required by the needs of the company or as directed by executives.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, (i.e. Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, and other mechanical, technical, or construction programs.
- Familiarity with project management/document control software.
- Familiarity with construction/financial software packages.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
- Must demonstrate integrity, honesty, professionalism and commitment to company values.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have excellent organizational, communication, strategic, technical, analytical, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills.
- Must have high standards of quality with attention to detail.
- Must possess ability to manage and supervise personnel.
- Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employees, management, suppliers, and customers.
Must have the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English, cooperate, and collaborate with multiple levels of customer, employees, unions, government agencies, vendors and suppliers, and other contractor organizations.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, see, talk, and hear. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to commute to field locations. The employee must have the ability to navigate around job site locations.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee should expect to sit for long periods in front of a computer and also travel to field locations as needed.
While visiting field locations, the employee may be required to work outdoors, be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical and electrical parts; high, precarious places; dust, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions, extended exposure to sunlight; cold and heat; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled