Posted in Medical and Nursing
Eskenazi Health serves as the public hospital division of the Health & Hospital Corporation of Marion County. Physicians provide a comprehensive range of primary and specialty care services at the 327-bed hospital and outpatient facilities both on and off of the Eskenazi Health downtown campus as well as at 10 Eskenazi Health Center sites located throughout Indianapolis.
Job Role Summary
The Patient Care Technician is responsible for providing a variety of services to patients and families in support of the assigned unit as part of the patient care team under the supervision of the RN.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Provides for various patient needs in support of the patient care team: takes vital signs, pain assessment, monitors accuchecks, measures patients' weight and height, performs EKGs
• May assist or provide for patient hygiene needs, provide bed linen changes, assist with dressing changes, measure intake and output, draw blood and submit proper requisitions, perform Foley and ostomy care, remove peripherally inserted vascular access (PIV), don sterile gloves utilizing aseptic technique, provide for the nourishment needs of the patient including the correct selection of food according to the patients' dietary orders, assist with feeding patients, reinforce patient mental orientation to person, place and time, recognize distress and/or changes in patient condition and responds and reports to RN promptly and appropriately
• If working as a close observer, provides constant observation, observes and reports changes in patient behavior or condition to the RN, and, if applicable, follows nursing policy on Suicide Precautions to include remaining at arm's length of patient at all times, removing unnecessary or dangerous items from patient room, and documenting on patient every fifteen minutes
• Completes appropriate area-specific documentation in EPIC to include vital sign flow sheet, restraints, intake and output, use of pain scale, skin care assessment, hygiene, ADLs, and calorie count
• Supports the safe transfer and transport of patients in an efficient manner to include the proper use of wheelchairs, carts, stretchers, and mechanical lifts and uses proper body mechanics to lift patients onto the equipment.
• May maintain IV and other tubes during transport, transport specimens and blood products as needed
• Assists in maintaining a constant state of regulatory readiness and maintaining an organized and clean environment, reports needed equipment repairs, replenishes supplies in areas as needed, sets up and maintains suction canisters and orthopedic setup, performs a variety of clerical duties
• Participates in unit-based efforts to support positive patient experiences such as rounding, use of communication boards and other best-practice communication techniques as assigned
• For those working in the Main OR:
o Reviews preference cards prior to surgical case to ensure supplies, instruments and equipment are available for procedure; retrieves/returns equipment, instruments, and/or supplies for surgical cases as requested in preference cards and/or by surgical personnel
o Assists with positioning patients and surgical preps under the direction of nursing staff
o Assists surgical personnel in preparing for procedures, including, but not limited to: opening supplies, setting up equipment, etc.
o Participates in performance improvement projects to promote operating room efficiencies with special emphasis on room turnover and first case on time starts.
o Assures effectiveness of cleaning protocols via ATP (adenosine triphosphate) testing.
o Serves as an expert in all manner of surgical equipment for other ancillary staff members including equipment for the following services: general, gyn, ENT, plastics, orthopedics, spine, trauma, total joints, neurosurgery, urology, vascular, and thoracic surgeries
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
• Previous patient care experience preferred
Accredited by The Joint Commission and named one of the nation's 150 best places to work by Becker's Hospital Review for four consecutive years and Forbes list of best places to work for women, and Forbes list of America's best midsize employers' Eskenazi Health's programs have received national recognition while also offering new health care opportunities to the local community. As the sponsoring hospital for Indianapolis Emergency Medical Services, the city's primary EMS provider, Eskenazi Health is also home to the first adult Level I trauma center in Indiana, the only verified adult burn center in Indiana, the first community mental health center in Indiana and the Eskenazi Health Center Primary Care - Center of Excellence in Women's Health, just to name a few.
Nearest Major Market: Indianapolis
*By registering with our site, you agree to our