The Meta VR optics team focuses on moving the state-of-art display and optical technologies forward for Facebook VR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The team is responsible for technology development and maturation, component design, novel manufacturing processes and metrology development, and system integration of display and optics for all Meta VR products.We are looking for Opto-Mechanical Metrology Engineer with a productive and problem-solving mindset who can apply their mechanical engineering expertise to solve issues in creative, insightful ways. Our ideal candidate should have a strong fundamental engineering background, prototyping skills, 3D CAD capability, and experience designing and manufacturing consumer high volume technology metrology equipment.
Opto-Mechanical Metrology Engineer Responsibilities:
- Drive optical mechanical engineering activities for optical Metrology tools impacting cross-functional hardware team
- Model, build, test, and refine prototypes and characterization test systems
- Work across the full metrology development cycle, from concept inception to shipping product
- Apply engineering and tolerance techniques to Optics and Opto-Mechanical integration
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel required
- BS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Proficiency with GD&T techniques and associated opto-mechanical metrology approaches
- 5+ years experience working on designs with optics and/or mechanical parts and assemblies with optical integration in mind
- Experience with various manufacturing techniques (machining, 3D printing, injection molding, stamping, etc.)
- Experience in 3D design modeling (NX and/or SolidWorks) and physical prototyping
- Experience in working with cross-functional teams including Engineering, Product Design, Industrial Design, Research, etc.
- Experience working with third party vendors to develop system components with challenging requirements
- Testing and analysis experience (FEA, Simulation, Zemax, Ray Tracing, etc.)
- Experience with design and prototyping of head mounted optics systems
- Experience working with illumination systems and camera systems
- Experience with mechanical and optics metrology devices such as CMM, OMM, interferometry, and image quality measurement
- Experience with optical component mounting, interfaces, and adhesive bonding
- Knowledge of materials and structural modeling/optimization
- Familiar with electronics and mechanical system testing, GRR, SPC and associated data and statistical analysis
- Experience mentoring and developing junior mechanical or opto-mechanical engineers
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or related field
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.