The Meta VR optics team focuses on moving the state-of-art display and optical technologies forward for Facebook VR products, which gives people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. The team is responsible for technology development and maturation, component design, novel manufacturing processes and metrology development, and system integration of display and optics for all Meta VR products.The VR optics team is looking for an experienced and driven Optical Metrology Engineer. The person will work with cross functional teams to define the requirements, lead the development, qualification and implementation of optical metrology equipment for characterizing optical modules and systems in VR products.
Optical Metrology Engineer VR Responsibilities:
- Architect and design first of their kind instrumentation to measure the optical properties of optical display systems and components.
- Work with Applied Perception Science, Product Optical Engineering and Systems Engineering teams to understand what matters in the product from a performance point of view.
- Researching and inventing methods for measuring the optical properties of VR lens, module optics and eye tracking hardware.
- Architect image analysis algorithms for display color, brightness and non-uniformity characterization.
- Generate Intellectual property in novel optical instrumentation.
- Define, design and develop optical metrology solutions including hardware engineering, test software implementation, and instrument qualification.
- Develop benchtop and production instrumentation to characterize complex optical modules and integrated systems (display and optics).
- Collect and perform statistical analysis on metrology data to correlate to performance metrics.
- Explore novel optical metrology technologies and work with suppliers on prototype development.
- Take complete ownership of transferring metrology technologies from R&D to mass production.
- Up to 25% domestic and international travel required.
- In-depth knowledge of imaging optics, image quality metrics, optical metrology and characterization
- Knowledge of color measurement principles
- Experience synthesizing requirements for ill-defined problems
- Experience taking requirements and come up with novel methods for optical instrumentation, measurement techniques and algorithms
- Knowledge of geometrical and physical optics
- Hands-on experience in optical metrology development from concept to system validation
- Knowledge of optical imaging techniques
- BS degree in Optical Engineering, Physics or a related technical discipline with 7+ years of experience or advanced degree in Optical Engineering, Physics, or a related technical discipline with 4+ years of experience
- Proficiency in statistical data analysis using Minitab or JMP.
- Experience in opto-mechanical design and simulation using SolidWorks, NX or other CAD tools, Zemax, Code V, LightTools, FRED or other optical design/simulation tools.
- Experience in computer vision metrics and techniques.
- Experience in test automation (instrument control and data collection) using LabView, MATLAB or Python. Experience scripting and prototype image analysis algorithms in MATLAB or Python.
- Knowledge of vision science and perceptual psychology.
- Communication and presentation skills.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.