Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences. Learn more about Lumen's network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.
As a Lumen Network Tech you will be responsible for all aspects of working in the physical Central Office.
POSTING CLOSES 6/7/2021
The Main Responsibilities
- Support and maintain all switching equipment in Central Offices.
- Keep all backup generators in optimum condition.
- Install, support and maintain special circuits and be capable of working within the TIRKS system.
- Monitor and support all switch alarm activity.
- Install, support and maintain fiber and copper networks.
- Support and maintain transport network and central power platforms.
- Tech should be familiar with both inside and outside plant cabling practices.
- Tech must be self-motivated and be able to drive issues to resolution.
- Tech is expected to promote and sell Lumen services.
- Tech must observe all safety rules and regulations.
- Tech must work well with both customers and fellow peers.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work overtime and weekends
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Three years of current experience in a Central Office, related telephony field, or the equivalent in training and experience.
- Incumbent must be technically proficient in order to perform the specific work requirements of the job in the particular location.
- Ability to achieve required certifications and to successfully complete any required training or coursework.
- Ability to analyze the performance of switching and peripheral data systems and initiate corrective action.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, particularly in detailing technical information.
- Ability to maintain an excellent attendance record.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license, be able to safely operate company vehicles and equipment, and maintain a safe driving record.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities including, but not limited to lifting and/or moving objects weighing over 75 pounds.
- Ability to identify and distinguish audible tones/levels.
- Knowledge of transmission and supervision characteristics.
- Must have working knowledge of central office NAP functions.
- Must have working knowledge of PC’s, including basic computer operational tasks.
- Must be able to respond to after hour call-outs, work overtime, shift, weekends, and holidays as required.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions and at various hours of the day/night.
- Ability to quickly adapt to new technology/equipment/platforms.
- May be required to reside within certain proximity of a reporting location.
- Must be able to travel overnight as necessary for business requirements and training.
- Ability to safely climb ladders while working aloft.
- Ability to work flexible shifts.
- SONET Fiber Optic transport experience.
- Network+, A+, CCNA Certifications.
- Certification in CISCO, Microsoft, or other related network/data systems.
- Certification or equivalent training in inter-networking technology and LAN/WAN equipment such as Ethernet switches, routers, ATM, frame relay, IP, and routing protocols.
- AFC experience. Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of AFC (DLC), Calix DSL systems, Adtran (DLC), Fujitsu (FO Transport), and Alcatel DSL systems.
- Installation and configuration of network enabling CPE hardware and software for connection to strategic network services to include frame relay, HiCap, xDSL, and other systems utilized by Lumen.
- Configure and troubleshoot LAN/WAN systems to include routers, switches, hubs, transceivers, servers, and DSL, as well as, programming ATM based services (i.e. ADSL).
- Knowledge of SS7 networks in theory.
- Experience and/or training in copper transmission systems, fiber optics transmission systems, installation, testing and troubleshooting (DSO, DS1, DS3, SONET, PON, etc.).
- Certification or equivalent training in the maintenance and operation of Voice Mail systems.
- Experience installing and troubleshooting T1 and DS3 circuits, digital loop carrier, high-speed internet, voice mail systems, E911 equipment (CML) and services, installation and repair experience.
- DMS-10 or DMS-100 experience
What to Expect Next
Based on your job application information you may be given the opportunity to complete a video interview immediately after applying. This will include a set of questions for you to record a response to in addition to Game Challenges. Completion of this video interview is a requirement in order to be considered for our open position. Now not a good time? No worries, we will also send you an email with a link to complete the video interview. We strongly recommend that you complete this within 5 days of your application date.
Requisition #: 250472
This position is part of a bargaining unit and represented by a union. Depending upon the applicable collective bargaining agreement under which you may be hired, you may be: (a) required to join the union and pay union dues as a condition of employment; or, (b) required to pay union dues, but not join the union as a condition of employment; or (c) free to chose whether or not to join the union, but if you do join the union you would be obligated to pay union dues.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons regardless of race, color, ancestry, citizenship, national origin, religion, creed, veteran status, disability, medical condition, genetic characteristic or information, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, family status, pregnancy, or other legally protected status (collectively, "protected statuses"). We do not tolerate unlawful discrimination in any employment decisions, including recruiting, hiring, compensation, promotion, benefits, discipline, termination, job assignments or training.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.