Reporting to the Ambulatory Operation Manager, the Medical Practice Assistant provides support to the practice's physicians for all ambulatory visits. Working as a member of the healthcare team, the medical practice assistant will be responsible for the pre-visit intake process, and equipment maintenance. In addition, the medical practice assistant will be cross train to some components of the Practice Assistant role.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Indicate key areas of responsibility, major job duties, special projects and key objectives for this position. These items should be evaluated throughout the year and included in the written annual evaluation.
• Accurately performs the intake process using two patient identifiers, this includes checking vital signs, blood pressure, height and weight. Documents all results into Epic
• Reviews and documents allergy and smoking status
• Performs medication reconciliation following BWPO and BWH standards; this includes reviewing the patient's medication list and documenting/updating as needed
• Enters prescription renewal requests in Epic using the prescription renewal queue making sure to enter all pharmacy information and medication names in coded format
• Ensures PROMS, and practice specific paperwork are completed, helps complete them if necessary
• Reviews practice policies and procedures with new patients
• Performs patient education around virtual visits
• Responsible for managing the prescription renewal line, ensures all patient's requests are handled in a timely manner. This includes management of prior authorizations
• Maintains excellent customer service
• Assists patients in completing appropriate releases of information forms
• Ensures equipment is properly maintained; communicates issues to the practice manager
• Communicates to the practice manager when supplies must be reordered
• Administrative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Answers all incoming calls, e-Referrals and electronic messages via Epic and Outlook from providers and patients seeking Mental Health services, timely, consistently, and exhibiting courtesy and compassion
• Verifies patient demographics and insurance information at the beginning of each call. If there is an update required, transfers the caller to the Patient Service Center at the conclusion of the call
• Assesses referred patients to determine appropriate level of care, consulting with psychiatry department social work and MD staff as needed. Performs preliminary acuity/risk assessment. Directs patients with emergent needs to ED settings, and patients with less urgent needs to appropriate outpatient settings
• Act as the clinic Liaison for sup-specialty clinics; this work includes attending monthly meeting and relaying updates and changes to the Operation Supervision and the call center team.
• Assesses appropriateness of referral for services available at BWHC clinical sites
• Schedules all new patient appointments as clinically appropriate
• Provides direction for those scheduled appointments, ensuring correct date/time, location, and visit expectations are set including those related financial matters and sending new patient brochures.
• Performs and documents all triage and coordination interactions in Epic and in accordance with BWH and Department procedures
• Proactively reviews all BWHC ambulatory settings for specialties and resources to ensure
• appropriate appointment allocation/scheduling services
• Proactively reviews cancellation and waitlist to ensure optimal scheduling
• Adjusts templates and daily schedules as needed; add clinical time to physician's schedules to accommodate patients as needed. Cancels and reschedules appointments as requested and works physician's bump list as required.
• Maintains a statistical data base on referrals within and outside BWH/FH.
• Maintains confidentiality and complies with professional ethics according to professional and Departmental standards
• Facilitates the appropriate and efficient use of hospital and community resources
• Obtains Medical Records for Specialty Services (e.g.: WMH and Neuropsychiatry)
• Performs and completes physician orders accurately and thoroughly. Responsible for performing various administrative and clerical duties required to support the clinicians on an as-needed basis including faxing and mailing of letters
• Function as a front desk Practice Assistant II (check-in/check-out responsibilities etc.) when required. Competently perform all duties and responsibilities indicated in the front desk Practice Assistant II job description.
• Responsible for communicating inventory needs and opening/closing functions. This would include communication of staples supplies, turning on/off lights, ensuring that photocopier and fax have paper etc.
• Other responsibilities as needed
QUALIFICATIONS: (MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
• Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Certificate Program preferred
• High school diploma or equivalent required
• Prior medical assistant ambulatory experience required
• Must have a demonstrated proficiency in working with electronic systems in order to document patient data
SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED: (MUST be realistic, neither overstated nor understated, and related to the essential functions of the job.)
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with patients, physicians, management, staff, and other customers.
• Demonstrated customer service skills, including the ability to use appropriate judgement, independent thinking and creativity when resolving customer issues.
• Ability to effectively handle challenging situations and to balance multiple priorities.
• Excellent verbal communication skills.
• Able to communicate effectively in writing.
• Ability to use personal computers and select software applications.
• Working knowledge of physician billing, third party insurance, referral requirements, and multi-line telephones required within probationary period
Brigham and Women's Hospital is anEqual Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion,national origin, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or on the basisof disability.
Hooper Bay, Alaska
Posted about 3 hours ago
Posted about 3 hours ago
Posted about 3 hours ago