The Medical Assistant I is responsible for supporting the practice with overall responsibility for maintaining efficiency of patient flow.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Greets patients coming in for appointments, in a professional manner, and escorts them into patient exam rooms.
2. Assists with all procedures within the practice including both routine and non-routine (complex) procedures. (The extent and complexity of procedures will be practice specific-and need to have documentation of why considered complex).
3. Takes vital signs, performs phlebotomy and obtains EKGs when appropriate.
4. Assists with determining reason for visit or phone call, flags for immediate responses, takes messages appropriately and notifies appropriate medical staff.
5. Performs patient education and counseling in predetermined areas and various testing (vision/hearing), under proper direction.
6. Assists with receiving test results for physicians and calling patient with follow up of labs and tests under direction of physician.
7. Assists with varied procedures, such blood pressure checks, throat cultures and suture removals, as directed and under the supervision of the RN or MD.
8. Answers practice phones, takes messages, and schedules appointments when appropriate, in addition to assisting with administrative work.
9. Escorts patients and labs/supplies to other areas of the hospital, as requested.
10. Clean instruments and equipment, following infection control guidelines.
11. Operates sterilizer when received, if applicable. Maintains sterilizer competencies.
12. Maintains patient rooms, stocking supplies, and when necessary, ordering and tracking supplies.
13. Performs all other duties as assigned.
ADDENDUM FOR TESTING SITE
The West Roxbury Test Site is a drive through Covid-19 testing site for MGB patients, employees and the community. The Medical Assistant will primarily be based at the COVID drive through testing site performing nasal swabs, billing charging/check in, greeting patients in cars, stocking supplies, and assembling test kits. Position will also perform administrative functions as needed. Potential for shifts at BWH main campus may exist.
This position will be located at our West Roxbury COVID testing site. The address is 1245 Centre Street, West Roxbury, MA 02130. The shift schedules are 8:00 AM to 8:30 PM with breaks for lunch and dinner. At this time weekend shifts are required, site is open 7 days a week 12 hours a day.
Performs both administrative and clinical functions to support smooth and efficient testing site operations, while contributing to BWHs promise of providing extraordinary care. Communicates with patients, other employees and the general public in a courteous, helpful manner.
Qualifications QUALIFICATIONS High School Diploma or equivalent.Graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Certification Program (or demonstrated knowledge of competencies required to perform essential functions of position).1-2 years of prior clinical experience is required, preferably in an Ambulatory setting.May not currently hold a valid nursing license. Employees who obtain a nursing license, while in this position, will have 90 days to transition out of this position. SKILLS/ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES REQUIRED Exceptional interpersonal, communication, and customer service skills are required.Strong clinical and judgment skills are essential.Good organizational skills are required to prioritize tasks effectively.Ability to work successfully as a team player.Demonstrated knowledge of varied medical procedures, such as phlebotomy, EKGs, vital signs, etc. WORK CONDITIONS Ability to transport patients and equipment throughout Hospital (10% of time)Ability to assist patients in exam room, may require lifting of patients.Ability to lift and maneuver equipment (up to 50lbs). AGE-SPECIFICITY GUIDELINES
- Uses the electronic medical record system (EPIC) in a proficient manner to document patient visit and ensure proper billing
- Prepares schedules, testing kits and the testing site as needed for clinical activities, in accordance with standards. Procures and correlates medical correspondence as directed by department.
- Performs check-in utilizing a computer system, according to standard processes. Use computer system to record whether appointment was cancelled or patient did not keep the appointment
- Follows all PPE and infection control guidelines
- Monitors patients and visitors entering, waiting, and leaving the drive through. Facilitates timely flow and informs patients and VPNE of delays in a timely manner.
- Acts as liaison between patient, other staff and BWH leadership to ensure optimal flow and service delivery.
- Ensures testing site supplies and materials are ordered, organized and stocked as directed
- May answer and screen telephone calls.
- May be responsible for delivering results
- Shares responsibility for clinical daily activities including check list for opening and closing of center
- Accurately records patient information
- Performs administrative tasks such as composing and responding to emails, answering and making phone calls, etc.
- Assists new associates in training as requested.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The individual in this position must demonstrate appropriate knowledge of the principals of growth and development over the life span of the patient. In addition, he/she must possess the ability to assess patient data relative to the specific needs of the patient and must provide care as described in the department's policies and/or procedures. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY
None. May be responsible for assisting with training of new staff and or taking role as lead for other staff.EEO Statement
Brigham and Women's Hospital is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
This job has expired.