The Manager of Environmental health & Safety ensures compliance with all Federal, State and local Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) regulations for multiple manufacturing sites in the feed additives division.
Primary functions include developing/nurturing an effective safety and environmental culture at the site; anticipating the regulatory and compliance needs; informing management of the potential financial and operational impact of pending legislation and providing leadership through policies and services to protect the health and safety of colleagues, protect site operations and the public. The preferred locations for this role are Salisbury MD or Eagle Grove IA.
He/she is responsible for ensuring that management systems are in place to ensure a high degree of EHS regulatory compliance. Ensures the filing of reports to agencies on a timely basis, evaluating practices that could cause losses and recommending appropriate measures to reduce risks, hosting OSHA/EPA inspections, directing contractor compliance with Zoetis safety procedures and regulations, and ensuring that any deficiencies noted during corporate assessments and/or assessments and/or regulatory inspections are promptly remedied.
The EHS Leader will interact with Zoetis colleagues on the shop-floor, and in the lab, warehouse, maintenance, office and at other sites to investigate incidents; prevent injuries; and demonstrate practical EHS behaviors, work practices and solutions, which are key parts of the function. EHS will work closely with engineering operations and partner for capital, maintenance, and equipment design, purchase and install.
- Manages and supervises the EHS program for the assigned Zoetis facilities.
- Provides engineering support for construction, operations, laboratory and maintenance activities at the site. This may include evaluation of equipment, support for upgrade or demolition activities, oversight/training of contractors and other engineering-based tasks. It also includes assistance in identifying solution technologies for compliance with air, water, waste compliance needs.
- Serves as the technical Advisor to Management on all EHS aspects involved in the manufacture, storage, delivery and use of chemical materials.
- Establishes a formal program to administer the facility's hazard evaluation activities and, where applicable, Process Safety Management (PSM) program. These activities include:
- Documents existing processes within the facility which require hazard evaluation studies and provide a schedule for performing them.
- Tracks hazard evaluation recommendations and document the way each recommendation is resolved. -Provide expert assessment of the potential impact of change control requests and technology transfer.
- Leads HAZOP reviews for new capital projects.
- Designs and implements a Mechanical Integrity program appropriate to control of fire and explosion and PSM compliance.
- Facilitates dust explosion hazards testing and implement cost-effective control of hazards. Develops appropriate colleague training in fire and explosion hazards and equipment and administrative controls.
- Develops for promulgation site environmental, health and safety policies and procedures. Develops policies and procedures in consonance with corporate Zoetis procedures
- Provides technical supervision to ensure the incorporation of EHS management recommendations and compliance with EHS standards for new facilities, equipment or major modifications. Also responsible for reviewing and approving all projects involving EHS in new construction or modifications for capital and expense engineering projects.
- Overviews the work of contractor personnel, evaluates safety performance of contractor employees; gives advice on both work and administrative matters with authority to amend or stop work if there is a safety imperative.
- Develops, establishes and coordinates the emergency team for the site. Ensures that fire emergency considerations are addressed during development and operations of production processes, equipment and facilities related to the site. This includes environmental engineering integration to Emergency Team procedures in the areas of chemical emergency spill response, containment and clean-up operations.
- Ensures all operations conform to government regulations and corporate EHS procedures. Responsible for development and implementation of EHS management systems to strategically and directionally move site operations beyond regulatory compliance.
- Designs, develops and produces EHS programs to satisfy GMS site operational needs. Monitors the status of these programs. Assist site in identifying EHS related problems and issues, and secures internal or external resources, as needed, to resolve them.
- Supervises the submittal of all EHS reports in a complete and timely fashion as required by regulatory authorities or corporate procedures.
- Prepares for corporate EHS assessments and coordinates in the preparation follow-up action plans. Coordinates the timely remediation of findings. Performs periodic self-assessment as required by corporate procedures.
- Hosts government inspections, coordinates inspection reports and ensures the timely correction of any outstanding items as a result of inspections.
- In conjunction with facility engineering, ensures that systems are in place to identify the impacts upon Health and Safety for capital Project Appropriation (CPA), product transfers, or other changes in manufacturing that may impact these areas.
- Coordinates Industrial Hygiene surveys and judges quality of changes in controls, colleague protection, practices and equipment.
- Investigates serious injuries, illnesses, business interruptions and property losses directly or through site colleagues as appropriate to identify root causation and help develop measures/programs to prevent.
- Maintains emergency Spill Response and Evacuation Contingency Plans and Loss Prevention Programs as required, including coordination with insurance carrier.
- Trains colleagues/contractors on EHS program and ensure skill performance levels are maintained.
- Conducts formal and informal self-assessments to ensure compliance with established EHS standards and practices.
Additionally, the role has the flexibility and responsibility to provide input for the following functions:
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Preparation of Capital Project Appropriation requests (CPAs) for assigned projects. CPAs to include project description, justification, cost estimates, budget, schedule, analysis of alternatives and other required information.
- Coordinate assigned projects with other site portfolio projects to insure priorities and resources are balanced.
- Provide or arrange for development of complete design documentation for assigned projects. Select, manage and coordinate the efforts of design consultants and firms as appropriate.
- Develop "Request for Proposal" documents for engineering, design services, construction services and major equipment items as appropriate.
- Manage and coordinate (with site customers, employees and other personnel) the efforts of construction management, general or trade sub-contractors to ensure the successful (i.e. safe, timely, high quality, cost effective, legal) implementation of assigned projects.
- Administer, resolve, and control all design, construction, contractual and financial issues on assigned projects.
- Ensure frequent communication and conducts regularly scheduled meetings between Project Team and other stakeholders.
- Ensure that all applicable local, state and federal regulatory requirements are met on assigned projects. Coordinates all activities with building departments/inspectors.
- Complete assigned projects by starting-up and checking-out all new equipment and systems, inspecting construction, developing and ensuring complete resolution of "punch list" items.
- Arrange for training of involved maintenance and operating personnel and obtaining and properly distributing all appropriate testing, certification, validation, "as-built", spare parts, operating or maintenance manual documentation and drawings.
- Develop Capital and Expense budget requests for future projects during annual budget cycle with knowledge of procurement, contracting & capital management.
- Interface with Zoetis Global Engineering to ensure project compliance with applicable GMS standards, follow all GMS best practices and comply with Zoetis Quality Standards.
- Provide qualification documentation for assigned project as applicable.
- Participate in engineering operations meetings to promote alignment, give support to master planning and provide input to engineering SOPs
- Support the development of user requirements, conceptual design, budget & schedule
- Maintain technical skills in the latest techniques for project management and engineering technology as applied to facilities and equipment design, construction and plant operation.
- BS Degree in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or other Engineering or Science Degree is required. MS Degree is preferred.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- 10+ years of experience in EHS program management in industrial setting, with 5 years of experience in PSM management processes.
Applicants must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- CIH, CSP or other applicable certification, preferred
- Knowledgeable in the fields of industrial hygiene, safety engineering, OSHA VPP certification, toxicology, environmental and occupational health.
- Excellent leadership, analysis, judgment, and communication skills commensurate with position responsibilities and with required interaction with agencies and all levels of Zoetis
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills, salesmanship, creativity, practical problem solving, flexibility
- Excellent written/oral communication skills; able to communicate well with employees relative to EHS issues
- Ability to analyze and understand how a decision in one area can impact another part of the operation.
- Ability to work with others in the design of new operations and facilities
- Working knowledge of NFPA codes, static electricity, and hazard control.
- Qualified HAZOP leader
- Ability to work well in a self-directed, team environment
- Proficiency with computers, including e-mail, internet, and online training modules
- Must be able to access all areas of the manufacturing facility, including routinely walking and climbing ladders/stairs, and lifting up to 55 pounds.
- Able to travel to other sites within the U.S. network, as needed (estimated 25% travel).
Zoetis is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status or any other protected classification. Disabled individuals are given an equal opportunity to use our online application system. We offer reasonable accommodations as an alternative if requested by an individual with a disability. Please contact Zoetis Colleague Services at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an accommodation. Zoetis also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must possess or obtain authorization to work in the US for Zoetis. Zoetis retains sole and exclusive discretion to pursue sponsorship for the acquisition or maintenance of nonimmigrant status and employment eligibility, considering factors such as availability of qualified US workers. Individuals requiring sponsorship must disclose this fact. Please note that Zoetis seeks information related to job applications from candidates for jobs in the U.S. solely via the following: (1) our company website at www.Zoetis.com/careers site, or (2) via email to/from addresses using only the Zoetis domain of "@zoetis.com". In addition, Zoetis does not use Google Hangout for any recruitment related activities. Any solicitation or request for information related to job applications with Zoetis via any other means and/or utilizing email addresses with any other domain should be disregarded. In addition, Zoetis will never ask candidates to make any type of personal financial investment related to gaining employment with Zoetis.