A career with EMD Performance Materials is an ongoing journey of discovery: our 57,000 people are shaping how the world lives, works and plays through next generation advancements in healthcare, life science and performance materials. For more than 350 years and across the world we have passionately pursued our curiosity to find novel and vibrant ways of enhancing the lives of others. EMD Performance Materials is a business of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.
You will be joining the Digital & Data Office, Performance Materials. The team is responsible for driving data analytics in our Performance Materials Business sector - by enabling data democratization, data governance, empowering a data driven mindset and delivering data analytics solutions.
The Lead Data Engineer is expected to execute tasks in our projects and give support and guidance to other team members. The Data Engineers are responsible for designing, developing, testing, and supporting automated end-to-end data pipelines and applications on Performance Materials' data management and analytics platform. Technology exploration is part of your profile to innovate and meet business needs. You will support and create data engineering and DevOps practices across the entire platform from ingestion through to provisioning of outputs. Forming practices around the robust data integration with up- and down-stream platforms also forms a core part of your role.
The role will partner closely with the data engineers, the Product Owners and the Use Case Tech Leads at the Digital & Data Office, Performance Materials. Also, the role will be an integral part of business-oriented discussions to ensure business outcomes are considered as part of the engineering work. You will further collaborate with other teams - both the demand and the delivery side - the Performance Materials Business teams, Plants, R&D Center and other analytical functions in the organizations. External thought leadership exchange across industries is strongly expected to stay abreast with technology evolution.
Who you are:
- Develop data pipelines by ingesting various data sources - structured and un-structured
- Participate in end to end project lifecycle, from requirements analysis to go-live and operations of an application
- Review code developed by other data engineers and check against platform-specific standards, cross-cutting concerns, coding and configuration standards and functional specification of the pipeline
- Document technical work in a professional and transparent way. Create high quality technical documentation
- Work out the best possible balance between technical feasibility and business requirements
- Deploy applications on the platform infrastructure with clearly defined checks
- Implementation of changes and bug fixes via our company's change management framework and according to system engineering practices (additional training will be provided)
- DevOps project setup following Agile principles (e.g. Scrum)
- Besides working on projects, act as third level support for critical applications; analyze and resolve complex incidents/problems; debug problems
- Work closely with business users, data scientists/analysts to design physical data models
- Experience in implementing data practices including technology, process, data and organization readiness aspects
- B.Sc. (or higher) degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Sciences, or related fields
- 5+ years of experience in system engineering or software development
- 5+ years of experience in engineering with experience in ETL type work with databases
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physical Sciences or related fields
- Hadoop general, Data Management, ETL, SQL, DevOps, CI/CD, Programming (Python, Java), REST APIs, General Knowledge of AWS Stack (EC2, S3, EBS...)
- Good knowledge in data privacy and security and being able to develop practices here together with the respective business functions such as IT security, Data Privacy Office, Government Affairs
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with a high degree of independence
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Flexible and willing to travel internationally and domestically.
Location is flexible, but preferred locations are Tempe, AZ and Hometown, PA. What we offer:
With us, there are always opportunities to break new ground. We empower you to fulfil your ambitions, and our diverse businesses offer various career moves to seek new horizons. We trust you with responsibility early on and support you to draw your own career map that is responsive to your aspirations and priorities in life. Join us and bring your curiosity to life!Curious?
Apply and find more information at https://jobs.vibrantm.com
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. No employee or applicant for employment will be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, or any other classification protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring, promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment. Any applicant or employee who believes they have been discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf of the Company must report any concerns to their Human Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The Company will not retaliate against any individual because they made a good faith report of discrimination.
Job Requisition ID: 214470
Career Level: D - Professional (4-9 years)
Working time model: full-time
This job has expired.