Clinical cardiovascular and cancer research biorepository is looking for a self-starting, creative Programmer/Analyst to join our team and perform data management operations in ongoing research studies.
The programmer will work closely with researchers and biorepository staff in the acquisition, management and analysis of biorepository samples using and developing novel computer solutions.
- Managing a dynamic database that models a large biorepository by developing and using custom written programs to insert and update data from many sources.
- Writing programs to select and stage specimens for analysis in complex sequences.
- Designing procedures and data models used to manage samples in new research studies.
- Updating existing systems as needs change.
The existing systems used are written in a combination of Python and SQL. Experience with Python data structures and current web technologies is a plus. Knowledge of R or SAS, basic statistical methods, and basic clinical trial conduct would be helpful.
This is a great opportunity to leverage basic scripting experience into a more expansive systems programming position within an established, multifaceted clinical research environment.PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1) Timely and accurate update of sample usage information in the database.
2) Work with research staff to identify and select samples to be used in research projects.
3) Work with biorepository staff to locate and stage samples for shipping and analysis in complex workflows in an efficient manner.
4) Create shipping manifests and other project documents.
5) Work with programmers to learn technologies used in existing and future biorepository information systems
6) Configure systems used to acquire and process samples in new research projects.
7) Configure reporting systems for new research projects.
8) Document biorepository computer systems and their usage.
9) Interact directly with study personnel to help identify and resolve data problems.
10) Attend routine study meetings.
11) Assist with all other tasks as required or assigned.Qualifications Bachelor's degree or equivalent. Programming experience using Python or similar language.Familiarity with and interest in clinical trial research methodology.SKILLS/ ABILITIES/ COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
1) Knowledge of Python or similar scripting language and usage of basic data structures such as dictionaries and lists. SQL exposure is a plus.
2) Ability to work independently across multiple platforms.
3) Excellent organization and communication skills.
4) Excellent interpersonal skills, as this position involves working with a broad range of personnel.EEO Statement
BWH is an Affirmative Action Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, military service, genetic information, and/or other status protected under law. We will ensure that all individuals with a disability are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.