Financial Aid Specialist #499383FTE:
Student Financial AidJob Summary/Basic Function:
About This Role:
Under the direction of the Assistant Director for Financial Aid Operations, the Financial Aid Specialist will be involved in all aspects of financial aid administration. The purpose of this position is to evaluate, approve and award financial aid to students in accordance with federal, state, and university regulations, policies and operating guidelines.
This position assesses financial needs of students, advises students and parents regarding financial aid options, processes and requirements. Participates as appropriate in systems/procedures planning and management; implements and coordinates specific individual programs or assignments in accordance with the overall objectives of the office, within the division of Enrollment Management.
What You'll Do - Position Duties
As a member of our team, you will have an impact on our clients through accomplishment of the following responsibilities:
Who We Are:
- Analyzes and evaluates financial viability of students and families and provides advice and counsel regarding available financial aid opportunities, eligibility requirements, and the application process.
- Reviews and assesses eligibility of applications for financial aid; exercises professional judgment to determine whether adjustments should be made. Reviews for accuracy and provides signature approval/disapproval of loan applications, promissory notes, and other financial documents.
- Responds to inquiries and researches and resolves problems related to transactions handled by the unit; serves as liaison with other constituencies in the resolution of day-to-day administrative and operational issues.
- Provide information, in person, on the telephone, and through electronic Chat, to students, prospective students, and families regarding student financial aid, admissions, account balance, and registration status.
- Serves as liaison with state, federal, tribal, and other agencies; keeps abreast of student assistance opportunities and program regulations.
- Oversees the collection, management, and reporting of data in accordance with the objectives of the position; participates in the development and implementation of data management systems and procedures, as appropriate.
- Implements, coordinates, and oversees one or more specific administrative programs and/or service areas, as assigned.
- Trains and serves as an operational resource to other staff and/or students, as appropriate; may supervise student employees or lower-level staff.
- Serves as subject matter expert, suggesting improvements where appropriate and maintaining procedural and policy documentation on an annual basis.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Lamar University is a diverse and accessible global university for life-long learners with a passion for broad-based community engagement. As a vital contributor to the socioeconomic wellbeing and resilience of the Gulf Coast region, our expertise is recognized locally and beyond. Lamar University is home to more than 17,000 students and is among the fastest growing Texas colleges and universities. LU is a member of The Texas State University System, which is the first higher education system of Texas and maintains the lowest average tuition and fees of any university system in Texas. With more than 100 degree options and a community that cares, Lamar students are always proud to be Cardinals.
Lamar University is committed to fostering a culture of diversity where students, faculty and staff of all backgrounds can learn, work, and serve.Benefits - Job Perks:
At Lamar University one of the ways we show value to our team members is by offering the following perks:
Our Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Health, dental & vision insurance
- Life insurance
- State of Texas Retirement plans
- Tuition covered at 100% for employees, spouses and/or eligible dependent
- Paid time off - vacation, sick, and holidays.
What You'll Need to Succeed - Minimum Qualifications
To be successful in this role and a great addition to our team we need you to come with the following:
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- High school diploma or GED
- Over one (1) year experience
Excellent communication and counseling skills (verbal and written). This position involves significant interaction with students and parents. Strong analytical and computer proficiency skills are necessary, along with the ability to multitask effectively. This job requires the ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations.Key Competencies:
Position typically has no responsibility for supervision or direction of others. Personal contacts are with employees within the work unit and/or general public, including students, in a highly structured situation which involves obtaining, clarifying, or giving facts or information. This job title normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results. There is some opportunity for discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. The assignment is usually reviewed upon completion. This job title requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization. This job title has no budgetary responsibility. This job title must be able to obtain and retain full access to NSLDS (National Student Loan Database System)Physical Requirements:
Sedentary, exerting up to 10 lbs. occasionally or negligible weights frequently; sitting most of the time. Essential functions or requirements listed above may not be performed in every position with this title, and these essential functions may not include all related duties that might be requested and/or performedEEO Statement:
Lamar University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.Veteran's Preference Statement:
Lamar University is proud to provide employment preference to veteran applicants in accordance with Texas 805 Government Code, Section 657.003.Preferred Qualifications:
In addition to the amazing qualifications and experiences listed above, if we had our say, we would also look for:
Security Sensitive Statement:
- Two years of experience in a financial aid preferred.
- Familiar with financial documents and a high competency of computer skills.
- Strong customer service skills that demonstrate a "student first" environment.
This position is security-sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of the Texas Education Code §51.215, which authorizes the employer to obtain criminal history record information.Salary:
08/24/2022Open Until Filled:
This job has expired.