Building a career at Granite may be the most valuable thing you could do...
Watch our video here
This position is responsible for developing accurate and timely proposals and estimates for our Central Region for both private and public sector works projects to ensure Granite is a responsive bidder.
Essential Job Accountabilities
- Comprehend and administer a safety program that provides for a safe work environment that meets or exceeds Granite's Annual Incident Goal, and foster a culture that expects participation at all levels
- Create and promote, in his/her organization, the ability to recognize and understand the appropriate environmental policies, rules, and the potential adverse affects to the environment due to operations, and take steps necessary to comply with policy/rules, and mitigate the effects of operations
- Create and/or foster a quality culture that recognizes the affect of quality on all operations, and takes steps necessary to provide a product or service that is a source of pride for our workers, and pleasing to our customers
- Analyze and compile estimate data that impact the cost of labor, materials, equipment requirements, location and other factors to ensure a high quality and timely estimate.
- Review drawings, specifications and proposed project site conditions; record findings and solicit input from field operations to include in final project estimate.
- Analyze alternative solutions and construction methods to increase competitiveness of the bid.
- Review "take-off" quantities to ensure accuracy of data used in estimates.
- Utilize existing cost history as a check to complete estimate.
- Apply mathematical calculations requiring advanced analytical processes to ensure logically estimated costs are accurate.
- Analyze and communicate bidding risks, strategies and present estimate/bid to Senior/Chief Estimator for review to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Participate in estimate and bid reviews with Senior/Chief Estimator and Management to develop estimating skills.
- Analyze competition and communicate with owners, subcontractors, public and private entities to ensure competitiveness.
- Communicate estimate bid information to field operations at pre-construction meetings to ensure understanding of scope of job.
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Business Administration, or equivalent related work experience.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- 2+ years estimating experience
- Prior Project Engineer and take-off experience
- Proficiency with all MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), AGTEK Take-off and Primavera Scheduling software.
- Working knowledge of Estimating software.
- Working knowledge of civil engineering principles
- Working knowledge of construction principles
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Working knowledge of agency (U)DBE requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, sit and use hands to operate a computer keyboard. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Subject to outside working conditions. At times will be working around large construction equipment, must be safety conscience.Additional Requirements/Skills
Education:Work Experience:Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:Notice to Staffing Agencies
- Comply, understand, and support corporate safety initiatives to ensure a safe work environment.
- Team player
- Ability and willingness to abide by Granite's Code of Conduct on a daily basis
- Valid driver's license and ability to drive
Granite Construction, Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Granite") will not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than directly from a candidate. Any unsolicited resumes sent to Granite, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Granite mailing address, fax machine or email address, directly to Granite employees, or to Granite's resume database will be considered Granite property. Granite will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.Granite will consider any candidate for whom an Agency has submitted an unsolicited resume to have been referred by the Agency free of any charges or fees.
Agencies must obtain advance written approval from Granite's recruiting function to submit resumes, and then only in conjunction with a valid fully-executed contract for service and in response to a specific job opening.Granite will not pay a fee to any Agency that does not have such agreement in place.
Agency agreements will only be valid if in writing and signed by Granite's Human Resources Representative or his/ her designee. No other Granite employee is authorized to bind Granite to any agreement regarding the placement of candidates by Agencies.