Job Title: Chief Estimator (Mechanical)
Report to: Vice President, Preconstruction
Location: Baltimore, MD 21227
Shift / Hours: Monday-Friday (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
FLSA Status: Full-Time / Exempt
The Poole and Kent Corporation is a wholly owned subsidiary of EMCOR Group. Inc. EMCOR is the world's leading provider of mechanical and electrical construction and facilities services, including planning, consulting, operations and maintenance. Poole and Kent is one of the leading mechanical contractors in the eastern United States. Our construction experience includes a broad range of commercial and government projects, including wastewater treatment plants, hospitals, sports stadiums, convention centers, hotels, research laboratories, and data centers.
The Chief Estimator assists the company in meeting its objectives and goals by supporting and facilitating the bidding and estimation requirements relative to the Preconstruction process for the successful award of large scale commercial, industrial, municipal, institutional construction projects.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- This is not a remote/telework position.
- Responsible for the collection and distribution of bid documentation to include, but not limited to, specifications, plans, downstream pricing relative to RFPs, and solicitation for bid requests.
- Responsible for developing bid estimates based bid documentation requirements, and in consideration of general conditions, raw materials, labor, equipment, tools, labor and transportation.
- Communicates with external clients, subcontractors, and vendors in the procurement of bid documentation and pricing.
- Assists Preconstruction with technical writing and assembling information for submissions.
- Assists in determining resources for projects based on cost estimates and budgetary constraints.
- Maintain regular communication and collaboration with project management, project controls, and executive management.
- Attend and conduct meetings as required.
- Comply with all company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
- Flexibility with work hours to meet time sensitive bidding deadlines.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Mechanical Engineering, or related field, or a combination of education and professional experience.
- Strong ability to conduct interpretations of preconstruction documentation related to mechanical and industry scopes of work.
- Must be experienced and efficient with quantity surveys for mechanical, plumbing, HVAC, and process systems.
- Minimum of five years of mechanical, plumbing, and/or industrial HVAC industry experience.
- Familiarity with a wide variety of field concepts, practices and procedures.
- Working knowledge of construction contract language and terms.
- Working knowledge of multidiscipline work in the construction industry.
- Strong familiarity with local market.
- Strong experience with mechanical estimating programs (Autobid, etc.) and Microsoft Office applications.
- Strong end-user abilities in the use of Microsoft Excel.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
- Must demonstrate strong analytical and mathematical skills necessary to carryout the essential duties of the position.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Must demonstrate ability to effectively work in a team environment.
- Must demonstrate ability to effectively organize and manage multiple projects.
- Must demonstrate technical skills in preparation of estimates for bids, projects, quality assurance, and costing. This includes knowledge of mechanical systems, products, etc.
- Must demonstrate professional acumen commensurate with Company values.
- Must demonstrate ability to analyze and solve problems on a strategic and tactical level.
- Must demonstrate commitment to company values.
Must have the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, cooperate, and collaborate with multiple levels of employees, government agencies, general and subcontractors, and suppliers. Must be able to fluently speak and write in English.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, see, talk, hear, type and perform computer entries and generated reports. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be regularly required to commute to field locations and/or attend offsite meetings and site walk throughs.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to video display terminals (VDT's). The employee may be exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment may be moderate.We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veteran/Disabled