Penguin has been serving the New York metropolitan area for more than 60 years with professional and competitive commercial mechanical and facility maintenance services. Our licensed professional engineers and more than 150 technicians expertly install, operate, maintain, and service mechanical, electrical, and HVAC systems for clients in many different industries. By applying our expertise to project design and installation, we help our customers to better understand effective project design and control installation costs. We also make sure they understand all long-term costs involved
The Estimator is responsible for estimating and providing management with detailed pricing for development of bid quotations and bid packages. He or she should have relevant experience in preparing cost estimates for construction projects, or services to aid management in bidding on or determining price of product or service. He or she may specialize according to particular service performed or type of product manufactured.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Include the following. Other duties will likely be assigned.
- Collect historical cost data to estimate costs for current or future products.
- Consult with clients, vendors, personnel in other departments, or construction foremen to discuss and formulate estimates and resolve issues.
- Prepare estimates used by management for purposes such as planning, organizing, and scheduling work.
- Analyze blueprints and other documentation to prepare time, cost, materials, and labor estimates.
- Confer with engineers, architects, owners, contractors, and subcontractors on changes and adjustments to cost estimates.
- Review contract and bid documents; review and understand scope for project turnover
- Attend walk-throughs, pre-bid and scope clarification meetings
- Quantitative take-off and computer entry
- Prepare scope letters and proposals
- Maintain relationships with customers, General Contractors, vendors and subcontractors
- Ability to perform design/build, conceptual and budget estimates
- Coordinate the efforts of junior and staff-level resources in performing take-offs, issuing bills of material to vendors and obtaining subcontractor quotes
- Coordinate efforts with the Engineering Department
- Ensure documents are centrally saved in the company's drive within the confidential estimating folder(s)
- Assist project managers with takeoffs and pricing changes in work
- Escalate critical and/or sensitive issues to the Vice President of Preconstruction with recommendation for resolution.
- Comply with all Company operating policies, procedures, and safety programs as established.
- Perform additional assignments as required by the needs of the company or as directed by executives.
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
3-5 years related experience in the construction industry.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor of Science in and Master of Science in engineering or construction related field desirable.
- Knowledge of the construction industry and contract documentation.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and city regulations and guidelines.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, (i.e. Outlook, Word and Excel)
- Familiarity with other technical, or construction programs.
- Familiarity with project management/document control software.
- Familiarity with construction/financial software packages.
The requirements listed below are representative of characteristics and demonstrated capabilities sought to perform this job successfully.
- Must demonstrate integrity, honesty, professionalism and commitment to company values.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have excellent organizational, communication, strategic, technical, analytical, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills.
- Must have high standards of quality with attention to detail.
- Must possess ability to manage and supervise personnel.
- Must build positive working relationships with multiple levels of employees, management, suppliers, and customers.
Must have the demonstrated ability to effectively communicate in English, cooperate, and collaborate with multiple levels of customer, employees, unions, government agencies, vendors and suppliers, and other contractor organizations.PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, see, talk, and hear. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to commute to field locations to accurately perform takeoffs. The employee must have the ability to navigate around job site locations.WORK ENVIRONMENT
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee should expect to sit for long periods in front of a computer and also travel to field locations as needed.
While visiting field locations, the employee may be required to work outdoors, be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical and electrical parts; high, precarious places; dust, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions, extended exposure to sunlight; cold and heat; risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
$80,000 - $95,000, based on experience. We offer our employees a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package and are always looking for individuals with the talent and skills required to contribute to our continued growth and success. Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
This job has expired.