This Management position of Optical Technologies AI/HPC Systems will be passionate about identifying, developing and delivering the next generation disruptive infrastructure technologies. This is an intellectually complex and operationally challenging role that will afford the opportunity to lead the way the technology industry deploys hardware infrastructure at scale! In addition, this Director of Network Hardware Optics will build and lead teams that design, build, test and successfully implement complex, cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary technologies & projects. Given the magnitude, complexity and impact of Meta, the individual in this role must be an exceptional leader with strong leadership skills, solid business acumen, superior technical aptitude and an intrinsic ambition for and skill at building & growing an industry leading organization that consistently delivers world-class infrastructure. The team gathers requirements with internal and external stakeholders, designs/develops hardware, creates product/implementation roadmaps, identifies risks and clearly communicates with stakeholders from all levels. We look for directors who can adapt quickly to a fast-growing and evolving environment, build an environment that develops people & behavior and allows the team to learn and grow. We operate in a fast-paced, challenging and fun environment! We are passionate about identifying, developing and delivering the next generation disruptive infrastructure technologies. We work together as one team to deliver on our commitments. We challenge the status quo and every member of our team every day internally and externally. We always search for ways to drive innovation, scale & efficiencies into and across our infrastructure. A successful leader on the hardware engineering team has a leadership style putting the company and the team first, a proven track record of solid execution, great business acumen, a high bar for excellence, the ability to drive innovation, great communication skills, a penchant for giving & receiving feedback, and strong cross-functional and supplier partnership skills. The individual in this role will work with her/his peers to set the vision, create the roadmap & engineering deliverables and ensure the successful deployment of these products/technologies into our data centers globally.
Director, Optical Technologies AI/HPC Systems Responsibilities:
- Lead the technology industry and the engineering efforts in optical HW development with focus on AI/HPC interconnect technology that includes pluggable optics and co-packaged optics with switches and accelerators.
- Lead the future investments into high speed optical interconnects including low power coherent optics, DWDM and new integrated optics technologies.
- Lead our ZR DWDM HW development. The focus on engineering execution of our optical programs.
- Inspire & lead the network optical design team.
- Focus on developing engineering talent with the proper exposure to new technologies, coaching/mentoring and challenging them to deliver the right business outcomes.
- Collaborate with the Software teams, capacity planning, network engineering teams including data network architecture teams, and other HW engineering disciplines at Meta.
- Support the development of project schedules based on the product requirements, technical challenges and business needs.
- Influence board design and bring up, with focus on quality, efficiency and re-usability of the designs.
- Manage communication within and between hardware teams as well as qualification, capacity planning, manufacturing, supply chain and data center operations teams.
- Create assembly architectures to successfully integrate mechanical, electrical, design and manufacturing requirements.
- Work with teams to set milestones, communicate project statuses, and identify/address potential setbacks.
- Work with engineering hardware leaders to develop best practices and development processes in a dynamic environment.
- Coordinate and contribute to engineering deliverables including specifications, test plans and reliability metrics.
- Engage with the various teams across FB to identify, scope, constraints, dependencies, risk management in the delivery of global projects.
- Identify engineering, technical or business barriers and potential roadblocks.
- Coordinate engineering, development & release communication with external hardware partners.
- Organize fast prototyping/testing with hardware engineering teams and ODMs.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Physics or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of engineering management experience in a technology environment.
- Demonstrated industry-changing thought leadership and execution.
- Knowledge of industry technology trends and technologies applicable to Meta.
- Experience in the development of network products for hyperscale infrastructure including switches, routers, transport, or optics.
- Leadership experience in leading individuals and facilitating teams to find solutions to problems.
- Experience in leading timeline, multi-partner initiatives.
- Organizational, communication and coordination experience.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.