Do you want to be part of an inclusive team that works to develop innovative therapies for patients? Every day, we are driven to develop and deliver innovative and effective new medicines to patients and physicians. If you want to be part of this exciting work, you belong at Astellas!
Astellas Pharma Inc. is a pharmaceutical company conducting business in more than 70 countries around the world. We are committed to turning innovative science into medical solutions that bring value and hope to patients and their families. Keeping our focus on addressing unmet medical needs and conducting our business with ethics and integrity enables us to improve the health of people throughout the world. For more information on Astellas, please visit our website at www.astellas.com.
Universal Cells, an affiliate of Astellas located in Seattle, WA, is focused on the development and commercialization of stem cell and regenerative medicine therapies. We conduct clinical-grade gene editing of stem cells to produce cells that avoid rejection and can be used in allogeneic cell therapy treatments to treat all patients that need them.
OUR GOAL - ONE CELL FOR EVERYONE
NO IMMUNE SUPPRESSION. NO DONOR MATCHING. NO REJECTION.
We are a dynamic team of research and scientific professionals who are passionate about turning science and innovation into medical solutions. Through our diversity, scientific knowledge, professional rigor and focus on innovation, we are merging our technology with the Astellas drug development expertise to unlock cures to many therapies. Join our team of committed, enthusiastic professionals devoted to making the most effective, life-saving cell therapy products in the world.
Universal Cells (UCI) is announcing a Director of Research, Immunology opportunity at their facility in Seattle, WA.
The Director of Immunology Research is responsible for providing scientific direction, oversight, guidance and training of the scientific research staff. This individual oversees high priority UCells research programs and provides scientific and innovative thinking. Leads laboratory research and will develop and ensure timelines are met; will play an integral role in troubleshooting technical research related issues; inspire and develop team members to excel; and will be accountable for meeting deliverables for Immunology Research team.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
* Responsible for strategic and operational research project support to assigned scientific programs. Utilizes expertise and provides input into the forecasting and development of program milestones, project plans, budget, resource needs.
* Direct and manage multiple concurrent Research projects while ensuring their success in meeting objectives and timelines.
* Manage the day-to-day operations of the Research teams through cross-department collaboration with Astellas partners and internal teams.
* Define and evaluate the roles, responsibilities, goals and deliverables for the UCells immunology research team members. Organize team and priorities, including resource allocation planning to efficiently carry out research activity to reach objectives and deliver key results in a timely manner. Ensure results-oriented meetings and positive team dynamics. Produces reports capturing key research findings in real time to communicate with UC Leadership team, Astellas Research organization, etc.
* Independently analyzing and interpreting complex experimental results and draft protocols, SOPs, technical reports etc.
* Participates and interfaces effectively with other parts of the Astellas Research organization in clinical trial planning, report generation, IND preparation, other regulatory filings.
* Ensures that the team is producing the highest quality science in all aspects of research in an efficient manner.
* Actively identifies and establishes productive relationships with collaborators outside the company to initiate and support projects and programs across multiple initiatives.
* Partners closely with Research management team to develop resource plans to support scientific programs. Lead, coach and mentor direct reports to maximize project success. Actively promote continuous learning to improve skills of self and the group.
* Interacting with internal and external colleagues on complex scientific matters and/or specific phases of a research project
* This position will have direct impact on Divisional Objectives.
* This position reports to the Head of Research for Universal Cells
* The Director of Immunology will have deep subject matter expertise in immunology with applications in autoimmunity, inflammation, and tumor immunology.
* This person will manage a team of scientists developing a cellular immunotherapy to modulate T cells, Tregs, and/or myeloid cells in an inflammatory disease setting and lead early-stage research, preclinical proof of concept, to IND enabling studies.
* Advanced degree (PhD) in Immunology, Cell Biology, or a related scientific discipline required.
* 8-10 years of progressively more responsible experience in leading scientists, integrating cross-functional teams, including highly technical Research organization in biotech or pharma industry
* 5-7 years of experience in management/leadership roles in a matrix environment, with demonstrated leadership skills and strategic thinking capability.
* Demonstrated industry experience or academic achievement, as evidenced by drug development portfolio or publications in high impact journals.
* Exerts influence in the development of overall objectives and long-range goals of the organization.
* Strong time-management and organizational skills with a sense of urgency and strong work ethic.
* Must have critical thinking skills, robust technical writing skills, strong scientific skills, good interpersonal communication skills.
* Exercises judgment within broadly defined practices and policies in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
* Belief in transparency and open communication and the ability for an individual's power to improve and enable those around them.
* Data-driven, with a high level of comfort presenting analysis and information to UCells Senior Leadership Team and staff.
* Collaborative team player who has the ability to think and act quickly; identify creative solutions to complex problems, communicate and act quickly to the benefit of the team and meeting objectives.
* Strong attention to detail with the ability to articulate quality related risks and potential impact.
* Proficient knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Outlook.
* GLP/GMP experience
* Previous experience contributing to an IND in cell therapy or biologics Conceptual knowledge of autoimmunity, inflammation, immuno-oncology, regulatory and adaptive immune cells.
* Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
* Generous Paid Time Off options, including Vacation and Sick time, plus national holidays including year-end shut down
* 401(k) match and annual company contribution
* Company paid life insurance
* Annual Corporate Bonus and Quarterly Sales Incentive for eligible positions
* Long Term Incentive Plan for eligible positions
* Referral bonus program
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled