The Director of Financial Aid is a full-time, 12-month, exempt position responsible for coordinating the efforts of all personnel within the office of financial aid and maintains compliance with all Federal and State statutes and regulations, and institutional policies. The Director will implement policies, procedures and processes in support of student financial aid, undergraduate enrollment and emerging graduate enrollment goals. The Director will have primary oversight for compliance, operations and systems and technology. The Director guides all activities and plans the calendar for financial aid office operations, including implementing policy, providing regular staff training and professional development opportunities. The Director will offer supportive guidance, effective supervision and ensure the timely delivery of aid to students in an atmosphere of superior customer service. The Director, in concert with external consultants, establishes the College's financial aid packaging philosophy, oversees the awarding process and supervises loan processing for all federal direct, institutional and private alternative loan programs. The Director may be called upon to represent the offices off financial aid and/or admissions on various committees and is the public face of the office of financial aid at on-campus recruitment and registration/orientation events. The Director is a skillful communicator who can build relationships with a wide range of internal and external partners. This position requires someone who is resourceful, solution-oriented, an excellent problem solver and a strong team player who can implement change. The Director oversees completion of the FISAP and all other Federal and State reports. The Director provides indirect oversight of the College's Federal Work Study and merit scholarship programs and will serve in an advisory role in support of the programs.
* Provides financial aid counseling to students, parents and other organizations.
* Responsible for maintaining compliance with Federal and State statute regulations and institutional policies.
* Prepares annual financial aid operating budget, in coordination with the Vice President for Strategy and Enrollment.
* Prepares weekly reports tracking discount rate, filer rate and other relevant financial aid metrics.
* Manages annual interim audit process for the office of financial aid.
* Oversees Federal direct, institutional, and private alternative loan processing procedures.
* Determines institutional packaging philosophy and awarding procedures.
* Coordinates quarterly updates to PowerFAIDS.
* Participates in Hanover College prospective student visit programs.
* Responsible for maintaining the office of financial aid policy and procedures manual.
* Responsible for various financial aid surveys, e.g., NCAA, U.S. News and Petersons.
* Oversees all Federal, State and institutional compliances of all student aid.
* Represents the office of financial aid and admissions on various committees when necessary.
* Adjudicates all professional judgment requests.
* Adjudicates scholarship appeals.
* Upload all federal, state and institutional aid to student accounts office to post to student accounts.
* Reconciles all federal accounts to maintain drawn down compliance.
* Hears appeals of Satisfactory Academic Progress dismissals.
* Other duties as assigned by the Vice President for Strategy and Enrollment.
Master's Degree preferred; Bachelor's degree required.
* 5-10 years of senior administrative experience in financial aid with progressive
leadership and management responsibility.
* Ideal candidate will possess econometric modeling experience with tuition pricing and financial aid allocation to optimize net tuition revenue.
* With emerging graduate program development and onboarding planned in the coming months, the next director will have experience with graduate program aid distribution.
* Strong communication skills, both written and verbal; understanding of institutional finances and basic accounting.
* Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks with student-centric atmosphere.
* Experience with PowerFAIDS is essential.
* Experience with Slate CRM is preferred.
* Experience with Jenzabar SIS is preferred.
* Experience and comfort with data transfer between and within databases.
* Experience with a team-oriented working environment and willing collaborator with enrollment management senior leadership.
* Sitting/standing/walking for extended periods.
* Professionalism and complete confidentiality when counseling students and/or parents.
* Student-centric customer service skills.
* Able to work in a time sensitive, flexible and deadline driven environment.