The PACU Department Coordinator is a professional whose primary responsibility is the coordination of non-nursing/non-clinical activities essential to the
effective functioning of the unit and attainment of established Perioperative goals.
(S)he acts as the central contact person for the PACU; performs billing, payroll, data compilation/reporting and administrative support including clerical and reception duties; ordering forms, office supplies and other
supplies for the unit; (S)he is an expert user of Meditech, MSM and KRONOS Computer Systems.
(S)he works closely with the Permanent Charge Nurse, Assistant Nurse Manager, and the Nurse Manager to meet the needs of the unit.
(S)he works closely and collaboratively to meet the demands of the daily schedule with other health care providers; facilitates inter-departmental communication, and assists staff in coordinating the efforts of all disciplines.
(S)he functions as a professional role model and preceptor for newer employees.
This individual is also responsible for providing administrative support to
the management team of Peri-operative Services.
- Acts as unit receptionist; greets, directs and assists all persons arriving on the unit; answers phone; receives and relays messages accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates the non-nursing activities which are essential to the functioning of the nursing unit.
- Assists the department by organizing and executing activities related to facilitating the attainment of Perioperative throughput goals including, but not limited to, maintenance of patient tracking system, requesting and coordinating timely required support services (transport, bed acquisition, EVS for room turnovers) and organizing staff activities under the direction of the Permanent Charge Nurse.
- Acts as liaison between the nursing unit and other departments to facilitate the coordination and delivery of patient services.
- Functions as expert user of the Meditech, MSM and KRONOS Computer Systems.
- Processes PACU charges, pharmacy charges and IV charges accurately and in a timely fashion.
- Reconciles charges, ensures complete timely entry and researches add-ons and errors in recorded times.
- Runs errands as directed.
- Requisitions supplies and equipment; maintains designated par levels of supplies; interfaces with outside printing sources for specific needs.
- Handles information which may be of a confidential and/or sensitive nature per hospital policy.
- Under the direction of the Permanent Charge Nurse, the Assistant Charge Nurse and the Nurse Manager, assists with the planning, coordination, and implementation of the daily surgical schedule.
- Manages the timely transportation of patients.
- Manages the MSM Tracking system with respect to coordination of the daily post operative surgical schedule.
- Communicates to surgeons and appropriate nursing units the status of schedule start accuracy, changes and delays.
- Demonstrates an ability to set priorities in coordinating non-nursing unit activities. Demonstrates an ability to trouble shoot and intervene when problems arise.
- Works in a collaborative relationship with other health care providers. Maintains positive inter-departmental communication.
- Effectively communicates the values of Newton-Wellesley Hospital to staff and patients.
- Participates in selected Hospital committees at the discretion of the Nurse Manager of Surgical Services.
- Reports any sick calls and/or other changes in daily staffing schedule to Charge Nurse, the Assistant Nurse Manager and the Nurse Manager.
- Monitors ongoing projects and target dates to assure timely progress by the Department.
- Provides administrative support (taking minutes and preparing agenda) for Staff Meetings, Resource Meetings, and other appropriate Committee Meetings.
- Compiles, maintains and produces reports on daily and monthly statistics for inside and outside end users.
- Preparation of reports, minutes, graphs, spreadsheets and other materials required to adequately support needs of department.
- Organizing and maintaining files, confidential records, logs and other controlling systems; retrieves files as needed. Develops and maintains systems to assure accurate, confidential and retrievable information.
- Providing and/or coordinating administrative support for special projects as assigned by Management Team of Peri-operative Services or designee.
- Preparing and processing forms and requisitions, as assigned.
- Operating hospital computer, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, KRONOS, fax and telecommunication systems.
- Maintains established hospital/departmental/unit policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and infection control.
- Prepares weekly payroll for department in KRONOS and acts as liaison with Payroll department for payroll questions, problems and errors.
- Mentors and precepts newer employees on departmental procedures including administrative and payroll functions.
- Screening incoming calls and relaying messages and/or information appropriately.
- Responsible for compiling specified statistics on a monthly basis, and preparing summary reports for management.
- Understands booking/scheduling functions as they relate to the overall functions of HSC, the Operating Room, PACU, CSR, etc.
- Promotes customer satisfaction within the unit.
- Works collaboratively with the Surgical Liaisons to ensure patient/family satisfaction.
- Participates in Quality/Process Improvement activities in the department.
- Assists with the communication/planning/implementation of Quality Improvement activities.
Satisfactory physical environment with occasional distraction from
machine or related noise.Qualifications
High School graduate or equivalent experience; with 3-5 years secretarial
experience preferred. Organizational and/or supervisory skills
preferred. Proficiency in word processing (Microsoft Office including
Word, Excel, PowerPoint - preferred), KRONOS experience desired.
Newton--Wellesley Hospital will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran or active military status, gender identity or expression, or sexual orientation.