Meta is seeking a forward thinking experienced Engineer to join the Capacity team within Data Center Operations. Our data centers, and the tens of thousands of servers installed in them, are the foundation upon which our rapidly scaling infrastructure efficiently operates and upon which our innovative services are delivered. Facebook is at the leading edge of the global data center industry both in terms of how data centers are designed and operated. This person should enjoy working in a fast-paced environment where adaptability and flexibility will be key to their success.We seek an IT professional with advanced hands-on technical skills in Networks, Server Hardware, Deployment Planning and Linux systems. Having extensive knowledge of planning hardware installations and executing complex projects in a mission-critical enterprise and a large-scale distributed data center environment is a core competency of this individual. The candidate should have deep knowledge and experience in at least one of the following core areas: Project Management, Tools and Automation, Networking, Hardware and/or Operating Systems.
Data Center Capacity Engineer Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the planning and technical execution of projects throughout the Data Center.
- Work as a technical lead with cross-functional data center teams on data center projects and initiatives at scale.
- Provide guidance and mentor technical peers and be a go-to technical resource to evaluate and look for better ways to resolve issues and define updates to tools and processes.
- Track issues and interpret data looking for trends and systemic issues that impact fleet uptime and utilization. Perform root cause analysis of complex technical issues and drive resolution.
- Support planning for large-scale deployments of hardware, while considering space (location), power, cooling, networking, and resiliency.
- Provide cross data center support and identify potentially larger issues, displaying effective communication when something is identified.
- Help improve/develop global standards for processes, workflow and automation roadmaps for tools that facilitate deployment, maintaining and decommissioning of server hardware at scale.
- Work with internal hardware teams and vendors to help resolve complex technical issues that affect Facebook's computing infrastructure.
- Understand and be able to update or develop scripts and smaller sets of software.
- Build cross-functional relationships and have the ability to influence policies and procedures to improve regional/global data center operations.
- Participate in an on-call rotation.
- Lead process improvements and best practice in data center operations.
- Time and project management experience.
- Experience managing multiple projects within the same time schedule.
- Knowledge of the interdependencies of data center functions and technologies.
- Knowledge of out-of-band/lights-out server communication methods, such as IPMI and serial console.
- Knowledge of Linux and hardware systems support in an Internet operations environment.
- 5+ years of infrastructure or related experience.
- BS, BA or BEng or commensurate experience in relevant technical areas.
- Proven experience in the application of project management techniques such as PRINCE2/Agile, or continuous improvement techniques such as Lean Six Sigma.
- Experience in large-scale data center environments.
- Experience modifying and developing using scripting or programming languages.
- Knowledge of enterprise level networking and storage equipment installs.
Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.