CTY DE Instructor
The Johns Hopkins Center for Talented Youth is a nonprofit dedicated to identifying and developing the talents of academically advanced K-12 students around the world. We provide todays brightest students with fun, challenging courses; a community of engaged learners; and a strong foundation for future success in college and their careers. Want to join our team? We are seeking a CTY DE Instructor. We are looking for mission-driven problem-solvers who can thrive in CTYs diverse, collaborative, fast-paced, and results-driven work environment. We value innovation, creativity, integrity, and a shared commitment to the bright young people we serve.
- The CTY Online Programs Instructor, 3rd-12th Grade Math, will be responsible for teaching 1-3 Online courses. Courses include Accelerated Grade 3, Honors Grade 4, 5, and 6, Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Algebra II, Proof-based Geometry, Pre-Calculus, and Trigonometry, as well as competitive math courses for elementary, middle, and high school students and Cryptography. As an online math instructor, the individual will be responsible for promptly replying to emails; providing detailed feedback on practice problems/homework and exams according to a rubric; arranging and holding live sessions with students; actively checking in on all assigned students; and helping to resolve any problems.
Communication with students, parents and schools is required and should be done proactively. The instructor is the student's main contact point and he or she ensures that every student has an outstanding learning experience with CTYOnline.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
- This position is not benefits eligible.
- Multiple positions available. This position is telework eligible.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Monitor student progress and assist students in accomplishing established learning objectives.
- Interact independently with students using distance education technologies, primarily Moodle, Zoom, and e-mail.
- Provide timely feedback to students and their parents on coursework and progress, using rubrics and templates.
- Communicate with students, parents, IT, program administrators and supervisor to resolve any course related issues.
- Submit hours worked via established system according to schedule provided by CTY.
- Additional duties include assisting with the development of course related materials; updating and developing curriculum; curriculum mapping to core standards; adding or revising assessments; creating and managing documents in LaTeX for any math course as needed and/or participating in new course development.
- Working closely with program managers on course related issues and working as a team member to provide support to other CTY Online instructors, as necessary.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have a computer (PC or Mac) with broadband Internet access.
- Familiarity with Online education technologies a plus, such as Moodle or other LMS and Zoom.
- Ability to quickly learn new software, as needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Positive, proactive, and professional written and spoken communication skills using various technology is critical.
- Must be very student oriented.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds.
- Ability to sit in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to access and transmit information using a computer.
- Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard, mouse pad and other office machinery.
- The incumbent will be required to communicate regularly via Zoom or telephone and must be able to exchange accurate and timely information in these settings.
- Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.
- Position also requires a degree of mobility common to working in an office environment; bending, kneeling or standing during events and presentations may be required.
- Applicants must be authorized to work in the US and must either live in the US or another area in which JHU has a business entity.
- The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
- All employees participating in or serving children in University programs must participate in mandatory Child Abuse Prevention online training on the appropriate conduct around children, protecting children from abuse and neglect, and reporting of known or suspected child abuse and neglect.
- CTYOnline offers students in grades preK-12 challenging academic coursework throughout the year. For more information, please visit: cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline
- Bachelor's Degree in required subject area or related discipline.
- Two years teaching or tutorial experience in required subject area or related discipline.
- Additional education may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Classified Title: CTY DE Instructor
Min/Mid/Max Hourly Range: $20.56-$28.28-$35.99 (Commensurate with experience)
Employee Group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: M-F, 8:30-5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: CTY Online Math
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers Total Rewards
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/NOTE:
This position is not benefits eligible.
This position is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Multiple positions available.
This position is telework eligible.
Work hours vary and are flexible; including weekends and evenings as determined with supervisor.Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion
.Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.EEO is the Law
Learn more:https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdfAccommodation Information
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com
. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/
and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/
.The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.To apply, visit https://jobs.jhu.edu/job/Baltimore-CTY-DE-Instructor-MD-21209/1003157000/
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
This job has expired.