Underwrites basic to moderately complex levels of mortgage loan applications and evaluates loans in order to maximize organizational profit and minimize risk or loss. Responsible for collateral evaluation for most property types including multi-family and condos. Well-versed in standard concepts, practices, and procedures of residential underwriting and is able to ensure that loan meets agency salability or insurability. Able to apply elements of manual underwriting but is primarily reliant on automated underwriting to make a sound credit decision. This level of underwriter is expected to accurately identify risk factors along with the presence of compensating factors that mitigate risk to the bank, adding supporting comments and documentation accordingly. Excellent quality is required, while working in a fast paced production environment.
- Properly applies Flagstar, investor and compliance/regulatory guidelines while underwriting our most complex loan transactions. Places the proper conditions on a loan. Formulates clear, concise and actionable conditions. Ability to manually underwrite loans and apply sound judgment and decisions.
- Review and clear conditions based on Flagstar and investor guidelines within a designated timeframe.
- Provide professional and knowledgeable assistance and communication to customers and internal groups. Follow-up with customers in a timely and in an actionable format.
- Mentors underwriter levels 1 and 2 and assists them with complex loan files, as needed.
- Other duties may be assigned at the discretion of management.
- Ensure compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Complete all required compliance training. Maintain knowledge of and adhere to Flagstar's internal compliance policies and procedures. Take responsibility to keep up to date with changing regulations and policies.
- High School Diploma, GED, or foreign equivalent required.
- Certified Residential Underwriter preferred
- More than five years of Conventional underwriting experience.
- Extreme attention to detail and organization
- Strong email etiquette
- Ability to build relationships with customers, sales and internal groups
- Ability to analyze complex income, assets, credit and collateral
- Proven decision-making skills
- Displays initiative and drive for results
- Able to work independently
- Strong problem-solving, analytical and resolution skills
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Intermediate to advanced technical/functional skills are required.
- Experience with Desktop Underwriting and Loan Prospector (Total Scorecard)
- Able to perform duties within prescribed productivity timelines while maintaining high quality
- Utilizes proper listening skills to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Able to maintain high production and quality
This job has expired.