The Exercise Physiologist - Research will, according to established policies and procedures, perform assessments and create exercise programs for research participants with medical complexity and/or physical disability. Works together with the Arms + Hands Lab research staff to achieve goals and objectives.
The Exercise Physiologist - Research will consistently demonstrate support of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab statement of Vision, Mission and Core Values by striving for excellence, contributing to the team efforts and showing respect and compassion for patients and their families, fellow employees, and all others with whom there is contact at or in the interest of the institute.
The Exercise Physiologist - Research will demonstrate Shirley Ryan AbilityLab Core Attributes: Communication, Accountability, Flexibility/Adaptability, Judgment/Problem Solving, Customer Service and Core Values (Hope, Compassion, Discovery, Collaboration, and Commitment to Excellence) while fulfilling job duties.
The Exercise Physiologist - Research will:
- Establish safe and appropriate exercise programs through assessment and evaluation to achieve research study goals.
- Current nationally recognized health fitness certification required from an organization such as ACSM, NASM, or NSCA. Clinical certification preferred.
- BLS and First Aid certification
- Perform advanced exercise testing such as VO2max testing, cardiac monitoring during exercise testing (EKG), Zero-G Body Weight Support System, and Lokomat.
- Measure and document physiological outcome data.
- Analyze program outcomes for quality to ensure that all aspects of the research studies programs are achieved.
- Instruct exercise prescriptive with research subjects inclusive of those with medical complexity and/or physical disability diagnoses. This includes, but is not limited to Spinal Cord Injury, Traumatic Brain Injury, Visual Impairments, Cerebral Vascular Accident, Parkinson's disease, and Arthritis.
- Help develop and promote programs and activities for Arms + Hands Lab.
- Serve as liaison between the SRAlab outpatient clinical team and staff members of the Arms + Hands Lab.
- Maintain record keeping of all health screenings, medical clearance forms and attendance research and program participants.
- Ensure that exercise equipment is safe, clean and in proper working order.
- Stay current with areas of professional advancement by attending meetings, conferences, and seminars.
- Share responsibility for providing floor supervision and assisting research staff and subjects as needed.
- Perform all other duties that may be assigned in the best interest of the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required
- Reports directly to the Scientific Chair, Arms + Hands Lab
- Bachelor's required in exercise science, exercise physiology or related field. Master's Degree preferred.
- Knowledge of anatomy and kinesiology with applications to developing personal exercise programs.
- Strong teaching and presentation skills.
- Experience in adaptive group exercise or special populations preferred.
- Communication and interpersonal skills necessary to interact on a daily basis with internal/external customers.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills and ability to make sound judgment to monitor and respond to client needs.
- Ability to anticipate, assess and address the needs of clients to positively influence the client/customer experience (directly or indirectly).
- Strong interest in research and evidence-based practice.
- Normal office environment with little or no exposure to dust or extreme temperature.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
SRAlab is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This job has expired.