Overall Job Responsibilities
Provide leadership, coordination, and expertise for the organization and delivery of diversity, equity and inclusion educational engagements for Duke University and Health System. Develop approaches for alternative resolutions to address inclusive climate concerns in departments across Duke University and Health System. Develop educational content for educational opportunities in diversity, equity and inclusion topics. Assist the Director in providing training and learning experiences in a wide and deep variety of topics related to cross-cultural and international education. Assist the DEI team in strategic planning for enterprise wide diversity, equity and inclusion education planning and provide specified support for leadership across the institution in engaging their departments in DEI education and development. Provide specified support, in collaboration with the Director and AVP, for managers and supervisors in strategic interventions when needed.
Alternative Resolution Support (50%)
- Plan informal resolution interventions in line with Alternative Resolution policies and practices
- Provide ART support to units that are referred through AVP, Director, and/or Compliance Team
- Maintain the Alternative Resolution database
- Maintain working knowledge of University policy and procedures related to discrimination, harassment and sexual misconduct
- Work with the Intake Manager to develop communications and templates around alternative resolution processes
- Support communication with community wide team of advocates engaged in alternative resolution strategies in collaboration with OIE
- Support training efforts for community wide team of advocates engaged in alternative resolution strategies in collaboration with OIE
- Provide and connect with resources relative to the management of cross-cultural and international issues and initiatives.
DEI Educational Program Coordination Support (50%)
- Assist in organization of enterprise-wide educational engagement for faculty, staff and students with respect to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Work with DEI team in development of appropriate strategies to create, support, encourage and reinforce equity in specific work areas and departments across the University and Health System
- Work with Director to support strategies to address concerns of historically marginalized communities and underrepresented populations in the Duke community
- Support the Director and Assistant Vice President in development of a deep and wide variety of diversity, equity and inclusion educational opportunities.
- Support in the delivery of cross-cultural, diversity, equity and inclusion educational opportunities.
- Work closely with the Communication Specialist to assist in the development of educational resources, databases, and glossaries.
- Work closely with the Program Coordinator to implement educational engagement events across DEI topics
- Work closely with the Senior Program Coordinator to implement educational engagement events focused on racial equity and anti-racism education
- Assist the Director and AVP in the strategic planning of educational outreach and design of educational initiatives for faculty and staff across the enterprise consistent with the Institutional Diversity plan.
- Advanced degree is required (i.e., MBA, MPP, MSW, MPA, etc.: A Master's Degree in higher education, social work, psychology or other related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related experience with progressive responsibility in faculty development and/or diversity work in academia, not for profit, or business.
- Work requires a minimum of 5 years of experience with progressive responsibility related to diversity, equity and inclusion education, planning, and intervention.
- Experience with restorative justice, harm transformation, and coaching approaches
- Experience designing and implementing DEI initiatives in higher education or a complex institution.
- Minimum 2 years experience with program and outcome assessment and evaluation.
- Progressively responsible advocacy and assessment of DEI efforts preferred.
- Significant knowledge and experience serving and supporting minority interests.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience in many of the following areas required: diversity and cross-cultural education, organizational change frameworks and planning, group facilitation, adult-learning frameworks and development, leadership coaching, conflict management, curriculum design, interpersonal/organizational cross-cultural communication, staff professional development.
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Outstanding listening, collaboration and team building skills that facilitate coordination and cooperation.
- Ability to lead and learn with cultural appreciation and consciousness.
- Ability to establish rapport and work cooperatively with various levels of faculty, staff and students.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to be resilient, flexible and creative in approaching complex group dynamics in a sometimes ambiguous environment
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas-an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.