Hybrid: This position does not require an employee to be on-site full-time to perform most effectively. This position requires an employee to be onsite 1-4 x per year.
While this job can be worked remotely (< 5% travel time expected), the team is based in General Motor's Warren, Michigan Technical Center, situated in close proximity to GM's acclaimed Battery Systems Lab. The lab is a state of the art facility that operates 24/7, covers 85,000 square-feet on the Warren Tech Center campus, and has capabilities to test 112 battery packs and 120 battery cells at a time. The General Motors Technical Center has been named a National Historic Landmark by the United States Department of the Interior and the National Park Service. The campus opened in 1956 and houses the GM's vehicle engineering center, design center, as well as research and manufacturing engineering, to name just a few of the key facilities. It is the workplace of over 18,000 employees on a 1.1 square-mile campus.
The Advanced Battery Engineer is responsible for the design of specific high voltage, lithium-ion propulsion battery subsystems and components (battery pack components including pack structure, cell modules, electrical hardware, including wiring and bussing, and thermal system components). This individual will work on the latest battery technology to equip General Motors' rapidly expanding electrified vehicle portfolio with leading edge battery technology that will push GM to the forefront of the industry (BEVs and PHEVs), working with a high-performance, creative, and innovative team, and will be responsible for the design, packaging and function of battery components, to meet stringent vehicle- and battery-level requirements. This role will directly affect the cost, mass, quality, durability and performance of future GM electrified vehicles, and is a direct contributor to GM's Zero Emissions Vision.
Additional Job DescriptionRequirements:
- Work with the Adv Battery, Cell and other Propulsion System Engineer to execute battery components' designs that meet stringent requirements.
- Design and package battery electrical, structural, module, and thermal components into a complete battery pack assembly.
- Work with Designers to ensure interface and packaging compatibility both internal to a battery pack, as well as external.
- Work with other Component and Lead Engineers to select and design appropriate components, while reusing parts where appropriate.
- Work with Manufacturing to ensure build-ability and to determine quality requirements.
- Work with Service Engineering to ensure cost effective serviceability.
- Support the Battery Execution Team and Purchasing in early engagement with suppliers and consultants for key components.
- Support early DFMEAs at Battery Pack level.
- Ensure component designs support safety, thermal and all performance requirements for the Vehicle, Propulsion System and Battery Pack.
- Build and lead component timing plans.
- Execute and support Peer Reviews per program milestones.
- Work with system and component suppliers to benchmark the state of the art and ensure requirements are met.
- Understand the competitive landscape with respect to your specific role and area of responsibility.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering or related science.
- Minimum 3 years' of experience in batteries, electrification or vehicle engineering.
- Proficient in analyzing data and crafting presentations.
- Excellent understanding of engineering theory and principles of automotive energy storage systems.
- Technical writing ability to build engineering evaluation reports.
- Ability to read, interpret and generate engineering drawings and specifications.
- Familiarity with CAD and CAE.
- Master's degree in Engineering or other Master's degree.
- 5+ years of related engineering experience.
- Battery Pack and/or Battery Component engineering experience.
- High voltage or electrified vehicle safety training and hands-on work experience.
- 5+ years' experience with a major automotive OEM and/or Tier 1 supplier.
- Design for Six Sigma Black Belt or Master Black Belt Certification.
- Experience with Unigraphics NX.
- Experience in structural, thermal, flow and electrical analysis.
Our vision is a world with Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions and Zero Congestion and we embrace the responsibility to lead the change that will make our world better, safer and more equitable for all.Why Join Us
We aspire to be the most inclusive company in the world. We believe we all must make a choice every day - individually and collectively - to drive meaningful change through our words, our deeds and our culture. Our Work Appropriately philosophy supports our foundation of inclusion and provides employees the flexibility to work where they can have the greatest impact on achieving our goals, dependent on role needs. Every day, we want every employee, no matter their background, ethnicity, preferences, or location, to feel they belong to one General Motors team.Benefits Overview
The goal of the General Motors total rewards program is to support the health and well-being of you and your family. Our comprehensive compensation plan incudes, the following benefits, in addition to many others:
• Paid time off including vacation days, holidays, and parental leave for mothers, fathers and adoptive parents;
• Healthcare (including a triple tax advantaged health savings account and wellness incentive), dental, vision and life insurance plans to cover you and your family;
• Company and matching contributions to 401K savings plan to help you save for retirement;
• Global recognition program for peers and leaders to recognize and be recognized for results and behaviors that reflect our company values;
• Tuition assistance and student loan refinancing;
• Discount on GM vehicles for you, your family and friends.Diversity Information
General Motors is committed to being a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that genuinely fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that workforce diversity creates an environment in which our employees can thrive and develop better products for our customers. We understand and embrace the variety through which people gain experiences whether through professional, personal, educational, or volunteer opportunities.GM is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
We encourage interested candidates to review the key responsibilities and qualifications and apply for any positions that match your skills and capabilities.Equal Employment Opportunity Statements
The policy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors is committed to being an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer and offers opportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search or application for employment, email us atCareers.Accommodations@GM.com. In your email, please include a description of the specific accommodation you are requesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position for which you are applying.
This job has expired.